Raising steam aboard RN destroyer - Admiralty three-drum boiler.

huwshpis

War Hero
Serious question - midday some time in 1942 - why was the skipper wearing a wing collar shirt?
Maybe he was old-fashioned (it's an ordinary collarless shirt with a stiff starched wing collar attached by studs - we barristers still wear them) or maybe he'd been somwhere where he had to wear frock coat dress.

barny006

War Hero
Whitby, Brighton,Y100's, then onto pushbutton Navy Post Mech's course ,Invincible we could get ready for harbour stations faster than the sailors could get rid of ropes and gangway Happy days!

Cut my teeth on Admiralty Three Drums....though Y 100's I preferred mainly because no more air locks and pressurised Blr Rm's. Nearest I got to gas propulsion was a County Class, best forgotten! Finished my time on a Leander, which I enjoyed. Happy days indeed!

Stirlin

War Hero
Cut my teeth on Admiralty Three Drums....though Y 100's I preferred mainly because no more air locks and pressurised Blr Rm's. Nearest I got to gas propulsion was a County Class, best forgotten! Finished my time on a Leander, which I enjoyed. Happy days indeed!
Had air locks on the Forth that went through 2 decks , in an age before shredders sparkers would come down to burn confidential gash , made sure they phoned us up beforehand to ensure they did not try to open both doors at once !.

Had air locks on the Forth that went through 2 decks , in an age before shredders sparkers would come down to burn confidential gash , made sure they phoned us up beforehand to ensure they did not try to open both doors at once !.
That and wishing to avoid being the recipient of an airborne wheel spanner......:) :)

Stirlin

War Hero
Staying with the steam theme , couple of Sentinel steam wagons similar to the one they had at Sultan.
The others are Foden and Mann.
-
sent 1.jpg
-
sent 4.jpg
-
sent 2.jpg
-
sent 3.jpg

WreckerL

War Hero
I worked on the Sultan Super Sentinel for a couple of months after Mechs course, best time I ever had at Sultan, especially when we took it out on the road, holding up all the traffic :)

Review* I'd posted previously at RR elsewhere but still raises a smile.

<<A STOKER'S LOG.
Experiences in the Navy, 1915-18. by Henry Vincent

"…The society to which Mr. Vincent introduces us is blackguardly and squalid.

A hierarchy of warrant officers, petty officers, masters at arms and ship's corporals maintain a loose discipline over a crowd of low roughs.

The commissioned officers who are set in authority over this drunken rabble quarrel savagely among themselves, over their parochial concerns.

The stokers and lower deckmen do, it is true, cultivate a few pagan virtues: generosity and a sense of responsibility to their community; but their habits are disgusting and their way of life objectionable…">>

*Reviewed 90 years ago at Pages 838/839 of the Naval Review Issue 1929-4

o_O Apparently those Pagan Virtues continue but has anything else changed...?

fishhead

War Hero
Review* I'd posted previously at RR elsewhere but still raises a smile.

<<A STOKER'S LOG.
Experiences in the Navy, 1915-18. by Henry Vincent

"…The society to which Mr. Vincent introduces us is blackguardly and squalid.

A hierarchy of warrant officers, petty officers, masters at arms and ship's corporals maintain a loose discipline over a crowd of low roughs.

The commissioned officers who are set in authority over this drunken rabble quarrel savagely among themselves, over their parochial concerns.

The stokers and lower deckmen do, it is true, cultivate a few pagan virtues: generosity and a sense of responsibility to their community; but their habits are disgusting and their way of life objectionable…">>

*Reviewed 90 years ago at Pages 838/839 of the Naval Review Issue 1929-4

o_O Apparently those Pagan Virtues continue but has anything else changed...?
Very little has changed. The "drunken rabble" have sobered a little and the "loose discipline" is now pretty much de rigueur.;)

Latest Threads