Raising steam aboard RN destroyer - Admiralty three-drum boiler.

Instructional film from 1942, should interest those of the ME World.

(Parts of the system will be recognisable to any Nuclear Submariner - 'Chloride Excursion!' anyone?)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I remember well the boiler rooms on the old Rusty B but pulling rods on a boat for a flash up is far easier :cool:

Oh joy, warms the coils on this old sprayer jockeys heart. Type 15's rock.....:) :). Got my boiler ticket on an Admiraly Three Drum......seems like it was yesterday.......well, perhaps not, more like fifty years.......that more than qualifies me as a psof....with clusters!....whaaaaass :) :) :)

Last edited:

Taztiff

War Hero
Pinkies had no shore lines:D, just waited for leave to be piped :)
That's true - they even left the TV aerial for the duty WEM. I'm sure on one ship the pinkies argued that TV aerial was Internal Comms - cuz that's where all the TVs were.

Sumo

War Hero
That's true - they even left the TV aerial for the duty WEM. I'm sure on one ship the pinkies argued that TV aerial was Internal Comms - cuz that's where all the TVs were.
As duty Wem I wrapped mess aerial around 4.5 barrel, much better picture than ships TV Ae:)

Stirlin

War Hero
Speakers???? Mine is so old it taps out messages in Morse......due a descale anytime now...:)
They should be OK if you are doing the required blowdown every morning watch :) , but with age we all forget to do stuff...now, where was I ? .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Highways England raising the benchmark with gift to local community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Raising expectations of children and parents, high standards for teachers and tackling bad behaviour: how schools in ‘left behind’ areas can improve MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Raising awareness of mental health issues in the workplace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Schools urged to work together to continue raising standards MoD News 0
Sean21 Weʼre raising £10,000 to Support for Simon in his battle with lymphoblastic leukaemia Charity 0
sgtpepperband Cameron: "We are raising money for the rich" Current Affairs 7
Naval_Gazer MW Branch cyclists raising money for RN & RM Charity and Project Vernon Charity 6
stokers64 raising money for H4H Charity 0
D Three men arrested over alleged terrorist fund-raising Current Affairs 2
S Raising CW Papers and JPA; some information UPO 0
S Raising CW Papers The Fleet 3
H Raising the drinking age to 21 Current Affairs 26
D 45 Co. raising money with a calender Charity 5
MoD_RSS Full steam ahead as infrastructure revolution advances MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Full STEAM ahead for new Cumbria education trail MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Full steam ahead for Keswick to Threlkeld Railway Path MoD News 0
janner Steam Diamond Lil's 8
E RFA direct entry with steam ticket RFA 3
soleil The Engineer: "This Month In 1955: The Steam Catapult" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Falmouth Plan To Restore 100-year-old Naval Steam Cutter" History 0
Stirling Sentinel steam wagon. The Quarterdeck 4
NotmeChief Steam out of my ears. Diamond Lil's 9
soleil Pompey News: "The Rather Less Glamorous Side Of The Era Of Steam" History 7
P Steam Torpedo Boats History 8
dublinclontarf Carrier can't handle steam catapults The Fleet 14
witsend Steam cleaning the motorbike Motoring 3
golden_rivet The Steam Tug Challenge Social & Reunions 0
S An appropriate way to let off steam. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 45
andym "K" Class Steam Subs History 13
R Life aboard a Type 45 vs 23 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
soleil Strategy Page: "Female Tars: Women Aboard Ship in the Age of Sail - Suzanne J. Stark" The Book Club 3
PedlarP Life aboard a Collins Class submarine Submariners 0
soleil The Journal: "North East Royal Navy Reservist Returns Home Aboard Warship HMS Tyne" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Sky Tyne & Wear: "Public Invited Aboard Newcastle Affiliated Warship HMS Dauntless" The Fleet 5
soleil Flickr: Defence Images: "RN Search & Rescue Helicopter Aircrewman is Winched Aboard" The Fleet Air Arm 12
soleil Mirror: "Mirrorman Chris Hughes Comes Under Enemy Fire Aboard HMS Liverpool" The Fleet 17
soleil Mail: "Diving Into The Abyss Aboard Britain's World-Leading Submarine Rescue System" Submariners 0
soleil Morpeth Herald: "All Aboard As The County Ship Sails In" The Fleet 0
soleil Financial Times: "An Anglo-French Summit Aboard Ark Royal?" Current Affairs 2
soleil Navy News: "Talk is cheep aboard HMS Westminster" The Fleet 11
soleil Norwich Evening News: "Step Aboard HMS Dauntless" The Fleet 0
soleil Navy News Not All Quiet On The Heston Front Aboard Turbulent Submariners 3
soleil HMS Quorn To Welcome Public Aboard In Ipswich This Weekend The Fleet 7
soleil Swansea Post: "A Lesson In Navy Life Aboard HMS Montrose" The Fleet 2
soleil N. News: Naval chiefs gather aboard Lancaster to fight crime The Fleet 0
F Learn french aboard ship? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
A Time aboard ship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Ships_Cat Carrier: Life aboard USS Nimitz Diamond Lil's 3
P Aboard Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
frayedknotarts A new bell aboard... tradition? History 3