Rail Gun

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Maxi_77, Feb 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It will never go to sea on Grey Funnel Lines
  2. Why we buy any thing and everything else that BAE make.
  3. The rail gun is not so new, I read something about it in the 90s, it was even proposed as a means of putting satellites (unmanned!) into orbit.
  4. The concept may not be new but the plan to get it to sea is.

5. BAE North America make a lot of gucchi kit we don't or won't buy. 5" Mk45 anyone?
  6. I know that there was (prob still is) some sort of EM Rail Gun Test facility in southern Scotland. I had to arrange a visit for a VVVIP but unfortunately it was cancelled so I didn't get to see it. It certainly sounds good.
  7. Kirkudbright is either shut or closing.

The biggest problem to crack is the energy storage (electric propulsion or not). 60-odd MJ squirted out in fractions of a second is upwards of 100MW peak power at the gun. If you want a rate of fire of (say) 6-10 rpm, thats 6-10MW average load on the generators & dist system.
  8. 10.3 megajoules of energy? That should leave a carbon footprint.

I imagine the g-force (0 to Mach 6 in a fraction of a second - eat your heart out Clarkson!) and electro-magnetic field involved with 'firing' would play havoc with any fuzing and terminal guidance electronics inside the munition but I expect there are ways around it. At the ranges envisioned (200 nm), some sort of terminal guidance and manoeuvring system would be required to hit the target accurately, as with long range base-bleed and other velocity-enhanced projectiles. However, this will mean that fewer 'rounds for effect' will be necessary.

The development of supersonic kinetic projectiles containing little or no explosives is an interesting area of research. It means that a hard target can be destroyed without everything and everyone (e.g. civpop) in the vicinity being flattened as well.
  9. That must be one hell of a magnetic field to contain in a ship. Weren't they also considering this for carrier catapults; http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/issues/2001/Jul/Navy_to_Phase.htm

An aside:

aren't we lucky that we invented and fitted catapults to carriers before those rather loud chaps from across the Atlantic. A steam sling shot just wouldn't have the same ring, would it. A bit like SONAR, RADAR and CHAFF, I suppose. Ah! bugger.
  10. I noted that the lack of propellant storage was cited as a benefit, but of course they will need to carry both the fuel t generate the power and the kit to covert the power into the firing pulse, so I suspect little net gain there.

Considering it is difficult to get light to hit the target at ranges much less than that due to atmospheric effects it will beed terminal guidance, but we know how to do that already. Acceleration is perhaps not quite as difficult as it first seems many of the techniques are already quite well understood, though testing can be difficult before you actually fire the projectile.

Considering thes projectiles will stil be quite small creating a damage radious to cover the CEP may be difficult without some extra energy.
  11. Mega Volts, Mega Amps and sea water all in close proximity sound like a receipe for a really reliable weapons system :dwarf:

Sounds more suited for fitting to a tank/field artiliary in a dessert enviroment.
  12. After reading up on it the "barrel"is buggered after one shot. So it needs to be multi barrel and is high maintainance. what fun for the WE branch.
  13. I know it's a shocking idea but how about Bombe Surprise?
  14. Possibly a contender for corniest joke of the month.