RAF to RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Redpen154, Jan 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

A speculative question to you all in the hopes that someone may know the answer.

I'm coming to the end of my commission in the RAF as a Personnel Officer. What I plan to do is join the Royal Navy as a Logistics Officer after my Service in the RAF is finished which will be this year.

Would anybody know if I can apply to the navy prior to the end of my service? or do I have to wait until I am completely free of the RAF? A transfer is not possible and I have no intention of leaving the RAF early however I am aware of the long application process with the Navy.

Any and all guidance is appreciated.

2. :eek:mg: Ack....ACK.....

Sorry mate...no idea, I'm Ex Fleet Air Arm.....the above is me choking (ex rivalry etc ...know how it is etc)

3. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

As a crab Personnel Officer shouldn't you know where to find the info required, if you don't know it someone else in your office will know it. Someone will have asked the same question before.

Rm

4. See theres the problem already. The RN has always multi tasked due to lack of space on a ship, and as far as I was aware we didnt have personnel officers. That was dealt with thru our DO's and upward. Maybe I am wrong.

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If you are not transferring then your application to join would be possibly treated as any other new applicant and there may well be the maximum age issues.

The Logs Officer branch is not short of numbers, indeed they were subject to redundancy in the first tranche post SDSR. In addition officer recruiting in general will be down for the next few years as the RN reduces to its 30,000 figure. I suspect all the references that people will invite you to look up will be about transfers between Services - if that's not an option then the best avenue for advice is the local AFCO. I have no idea as to your age, but I think you may be unlucky about this.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You do realise you'll be joining the military this time?

• Like Like x 4
  7. Why would we take someone who the RAF don't want. I presume your commission is running out as they haven't transferred you to a longer one?

8. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There are some very good RN Logs Officers whose commission will run out as they didn't get transferred to longer ones. How many on this year's signal for example....