RAF takes the Credit for Cuban Crisis

Discussion in 'History' started by trelawney126, Oct 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Crews even slept by the side of their aircraft in caravans, ready to scramble" some RAF gobby **** muttered.

That'll be a 3 star instead of a 4 star hotel then. The horror- and I bet the croissant were almost inedible.

2. What a bunch of self serving c&nts, next they will be saying how they won the Falklands.... No the Cuban missile crisis was deterred by JFK having a massive set of balls, and the Russians having their bluff called, and then a perceived compromise to save Russian face.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Too many Bond movies, peppered with a dash of Finknottles expertise

• Like Like x 1
  4. He says in that article that they would have been the first there. I'm not a navigator but I always thought Florida was closer to Cuba than Lincolnshire :scratch:

I know the RAF PR Dept can make mountains out of molehills, I didn't know they could move tectonic plates as well 8O

• Like Like x 1
  5. I assumed that was in relation to Russia. The article does seem a bit (read: very) over-the-top mind.

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

No mention of janner (and the rest of the Ulsters ships company) being there before any of them, if I remember correctly we turned left rather sharply when we noticed that the Cousins 6th Fleet was coming our way.

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

World history according to the RAF..... I reckon we could think up a few more heroics their PR dept hasn't yet.

"RAF Spitfire drops Tallboy bomb on Alpine pass and stops Hannibal's Elephants"

"RAF Torpedo bomber crew say sorry to grieving relatives of Titanic blunder"

• Like Like x 1
  8. May be they have invented Quantum Time travel and totally unlike the RAF have not mentioned it?:joker::joker:

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Phew. Lincolnshire could've been flattened then?

• Like Like x 4
  10. Well may be not so flat and full of holes?

11. I don't know what we'd have done without their timely intervention at Trafalgar :roll:

12. Would that be Trafalgar square, requiring some stooge, to throw into the fountains:w00t:

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Few realise Mother Teresa served in the WRAF, before she divorced Nelson Mandela, who was Red Two at the time.

Me included.

14. Ninja bit confuse were you a WRAF a divorcee or a pilot? But I am sure the RAF will take credit for all 3?:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. You seem to have believed too much US propaganda.

The Cuban Missile Crisis was the last gasp of US Nuclear Supremacy and was Kennedy acting like a meglomaniac !

The US knew that there was no (and had never been) a "bomber gap". The US knew that there was no ( and had never been ) any "missile gap" - but they also knew that the USSR was just about to start installing operational ICBMs (actually 4 to 6 were estimated to be ready) and that as such the basic invulnerability of the US from Russian nuclear attack was about to disappear (*)

On the other hand the US had mounted missiles in Italy and Turkey which directly threatened the USSR, the USSR also had to consider the nominally British Thor missiles based in Britain, which also could reach the USSR. Therefore, the USSR felt it was acceptable to respond (i.e. NOT being "aggressive") to base missiles in Cuba, which was perfectly legal.

Now, Kennedy used illegal overflights of Cuba to provide evidence of the preparations, and then instigated an illegal blockade and the "Cuban Missile Crisis" - all based on the basis that what was good enough for the US was NOT good enough for the USSR !

It is always good to remember the facts behind the Crisis instead of the propaganda.

(*) Alaska and Washington State could be attacked, the rest of the main 48 Continental States would only be attacked by one way suicide missions which were regarded as unlikely to succeed. There were some diesel short-ranged missile subs which MIGHT have been able to attack the West Coast.

• Like Like x 3
  16. PGlotsa5's...go on e-goat and tell them that, I'll give it 3 minutes (just like the warning) before the fishes start mustering :)

17. I think you need to stay off the caffeine for a while?:biggrin::nike::tongue4::tongue4: