RAF Sergeant moved from NHS waiting areas.

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Singingpom, Oct 8, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do you remember this a couple of weeks ago? Absolutely bloody disgraceful to move anyone is service uniform in case it upsets or offends persons of another culture.
    There is a petition at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/109521 asking the government to legislate against the discrimination of service personnel in uniform. Can we all please log on, sign the petition, and share the living shit out of it on all forms of social media.
    It doesn't even get considered unless there are over 10,000 signatures, so we have some work to do.
    Cheers guys.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst discrimination of any description is morally wrong, I do find campaigns of this nature carry more credence to a wider audience if the person expressing their outrage can articulate his gripe without offending the English language.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Bad English or not, is it an issue you would sign up to?

4. Ninja_Stoker

No - because the manner in which the petition is worded portrays the Armed Forces in a negative light, more likely encourage disdain from those who may already hold service personnel in contempt.

The notion I support, but I don't personally feel strong enough about it to consider an isolated incident worthy of political consideration at this particular juncture.

Untitled.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. I had no issues going into Peterborough Hospital in rig (2006-7), there was a large number of Service Staff working there and the wearing of uniform was never a issue.

Its an isolated incident that has been blown up out of all proportion, prob by the RAF PR Machine :(

6. I agree that the petition is not written in the best grammar but, the idea is still the same. It also may seem like an isolated incident but, due to the press coverage, and the failure of the government to sufficiently convey to the public the serious nature of discrimination against those who choose to protect us, is it not down to all of us to attempt to redress the issue?
    I, for one, am horrified to think we have come this far down the road. However, we all have our own opinions, and that after all is what we choose to protect.

7. I am horrified that crabfats are allowed to use the same facilities as us huming beanz wot is the werld cumin two

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I'd discriminate against some civvies in 'uniform'. My piss boils when I see a crowd of chimps all dressed in trainers and minging tracksuit things, especially grey ones. Football team tops, not playing for the team (?) fcuk off and wait somewhere else.

My piss superheats when faced with a crowd of hipster clones, all beard, slicked hair, BFO specs, skinny jeans and man bag. Fcuk off and die while you wait.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I think I have to somewhat disagree SD some civvies look pretty dam fine in uniforms, Nurses, air stewardesses, police officers, fire personnel all female, hang on there appears to be a theme, could be blokes if that’s your thing?

• Like Like x 1
  10. In the interests of not, "...offending the English language." (sic), please don't mix your possessive pronouns. Also, please tell us how you, "...find campaigns of this nature carry more credence to a wider audience if the person expressing their outrage can articulate his gripe without offending the English language"?
    Do you have some authoritative inside information about the effectiveness or otherwise of petitions that have a simple spelling error?

Pomposity? Many!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

The petition, because of an isolated incident, has mustered 177 electronic signatures in 89 days so far, 450 people have viewed this thread to date. You are right of course, there is no authoritative evidence to suggest correct spelling would've made any other Daily Mail reader give a fcuk either.

At risk of sounding pompous again, I'd have used "much" rather than "many", but feel free to start a petition about that too. If you spell it correctly, I'll sign :)

12. So now you're going to correct my deliberate use of something that is probably absolutely clear to most contributors to this forum, i.e. naval informal vernacular.
    It wasn't a trap, honestly. I mean, how could I have predicted that you would bite? :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Nurse, he's on the computer again and he hasn't had his pills ;)

On the plus side another 100 people have viewed this thread and one of them electronically signed the petition. Result. Just 9,822 to go.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Well, I haven't signed it for the following reason, "The notion I support, but I don't personally feel strong enough about it to consider an isolated incident worthy of political consideration at this particular juncture.", which I think is a reasonable stance and, really, was all that needed to be said.
    I understand the "thin edge of the wedge" argument but I think, as you seem to, that the desire for legislation is over defensive and the adage "less is more" pretty well describes my attitude when it comes to parliamentary intervention in our daily lives.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will, but is it not 100,000 signatures to get discussed in parliament?:confused:

Why not write a letter to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen instead?

One reason an RAF Sgt may have been moved is that he was a fat knacker and a poor example to all. Perhaps he was frightening children?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, 10,000 for a response, 100,000 for consideration.

It often helps to conduct a little research before voicing an opinion to the press or raising a petition. The hospital's reasoning was due to a previous incident. They were acting in the best interest of the casualty himself.

A petition is an affront to common sense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Having worked in A&E for decades I can truthfully say I have witnessed servicemen in uniform, mostly airmen from RAF St Athan, being mocked and baited by pissed idiots in the waiting rooms and, purely for that reason, we made it a practice to seat them away from the main waiting room and fast tracked them, too.
    I don't know if the subject of this thread was a similar scenario because I don't read the Daily Mail, it has an Antabuse effect on me.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I conjecture that most people who have read the petition suspected as much which may account for the dearth of signatures.