RAF jets divert Pakistani aircraft to Stanstead.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Flagdeck, May 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. No doubt recorded in the annals of Crab history as another of their 'Finest Hours'.
  2. No one else to do the job Waspie !!
  3. It's so ******* embarrassing!
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, a potential terrorist incident averted and you lot are having an "RAF v FAA" pissing contest..?! :roll:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Yes - AND?

You correctly used the word - potential.

And we (WAFU's) want our zoomies back!!
  6. sgtpepperband

If you wanted a light-hearted banter based "discussion" about zoomies, then it should've been posted in Lil's/Quarterdeck. As it is in CA I was expecting a serious debate. Too much to ask for, I suppose... :oops:
  7. Just out of interest, if the plane refused to land what would the crabs have done?

I assume the plan was to blast it if it was another 9/11.
  8. At time of posting..........if you read the link.........The BBC report said it understood the incident was not terror related.
    Sorry if I posted in wrong forum, but it was breaking news at the time and deemed to be current affairs.
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  9. As you say FD, it wasn't terror related and the BeeB was reporting it this afternoon more as a pair of exuberant pax rather than a serious risk of terror. The fact that 'endangerment of the aircraft' was stated and I imagine the pilot of a PIA aircraft declared a 'Pan' call the UK defence system swung into action and the automatic response would be to deploy fighters I would have thought.

If a serious threat to life existed, a diversion to a RAF airfield with an armed presence inside the MOD estate would have provided a safer solution rather than land at a major civil airfield.

Hope that response makes up for my inter service banter earlier. (TBH - never saw in was posted in CA).
  10. sgtpepperband

Not as simple as that; not all RAF air stations are able to take all sizes of aircraft, in particular passenger jets. Plus, there are contingents of SF/firearms hostage negotiation personnel at dedicated airports for such eventualities: Stansted (in the South) and Leuchars (in the North) so easier to divert the aircraft to where those Teams are located, minimising the risk to the general public and other non-essential personnel, rather than keeping it airborne waiting for a suitable airfield.
  11. I've heard it was double points in the Birmingham Marriott.
  12. More than aware, there are airfields known as MDA's or Master Diversion Airfields, they are specifically chosen because of their navigation aids and they are large enough to take most 'heavy' air traffic.
  13. Be fair Waspie, he did mention Leuchars
  14. Last edited: May 26, 2013