RAF gunner or Royal marine

I was thinking of where to get shedded, I thought long and hard, according to idiotdeeper that would of been about 3.8 seconds.

Barbie at Dutchies without the likes of HarryB giving us Shite would be good, flying mycrolights in scotland without NZB kicking off would be good, Treck over the fan might be fun without nuttyB, super glueing my klepper together without bergs might be difficult,

But depth breath lads........how long should my hair be?......what size bag....

danny

War Hero
As much as i find it highly amusing that they try to put themselves up there with the marines and paras. I think compared to the rest of the RAF the rgt has got it pritty shit.
They seem to get the shit job of guarding places like basra airport where you really are just a sitting target. And this is reflected in the fact quite a lot of apes have died of late.
I would say they have it worse than the other infantry regiments in that at least they die taking it to the enemy. Rther than just being a sitting target for any A rab with an ak that wants to pop a few shots of that day.

lukep

War Hero
danny said:
As much as i find it highly amusing that they try to put themselves up there with the marines and paras. I think compared to the rest of the RAF the rgt has got it pritty shit.
They seem to get the shit job of guarding places like basra airport where you really are just a sitting target. And this is reflected in the fact quite a lot of apes have died of late.
I would say they have it worse than the other infantry regiments in that at least they die taking it to the enemy. Rther than just being a sitting target for any A rab with an ak that wants to pop a few shots of that day.

Im sorry mate but im trying to retrace my mind to the last time the RAF reg were ''taking it to the enemy''. Theres been plenty of pongo regiments in Afghan of late doing the bussiness ie. Royal irish, Royal Anglians, Grenadier guards to name but a few seriously honouring themselves. The Raf reg will only deploy in theatre usually squadron size hence the reason they guard the airbases, plus its their job anyway. Because of their specific job role they cannot ever be compared to any Infantry regiment. Your not going to see many battle honours from this mob. I aint taking anything away from them i was was down Basra airstation last week and living in that shithole and getting IDF'd everyday for them is ****. But believe me The Royal scots who are still venturing outside the wire have got it worse.

danny said:

Yes i'm aware of that, a family friend was one of those killed by a mortar whilst guarding the perimeter. My argument is that they are comparing themselves to Royal and Para reg which they clearly aint nowhere near mate!!

danny said:

IF I was unsensitive and took the piss I'd say///WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...WWWWWAAAAAAAHHHH

But I'm not so I'll just say WWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHH.

Love to all XXX

danny

War Hero
ex_rubberdagger said:
danny said:

Yes i'm aware of that, a family friend was one of those killed by a mortar whilst guarding the perimeter. My argument is that they are comparing themselves to Royal and Para reg which they clearly aint nowhere near mate!!

I totally agree. I think i strugle to convey what i mean sometimes online.

I too remember the TELIC 1 incident......here are 2 from HERRICK 5 last year (Afghanistan).

I found myself in Kandahar just as the RAF Reg Sqns were changing over. The new Sqn in theatre were, wait for it, marching around camp as a formed body of men! Now I know they are not allowed to operate more than 15 kms from an airbase, but this is/was a live Op and the base was being rocketed on a daily basis!!!! I bit my tongue, until I saw one of their gravs in the galley, with the bayonet (sheathed) fitted to the weapon. At this point I hit the roof, found their Sqn boss and read him his future. He was a pathetic little groveller who tried to blame it on the RSOI DS!!!! In short they are a bunch of wannabe walts, hence the "the Real 1 para" tee shirts worn by 1 Sqn. Kn obbers the lot of 'em. If that's how you see your life turning out then good luck. Or challenge yourself and join the Corps.

BTW, I expect most RMs to be able to extend beyond their 22 or age 40 fairly soon, so don't let that put you off.

1664andallthat said:
I too remember the TELIC 1 incident......here are 2 from HERRICK 5 last year (Afghanistan).

I found myself in Kandahar just as the RAF Reg Sqns were changing over. The new Sqn in theatre were, wait for it, marching around camp as a formed body of men! Now I know they are not allowed to operate more than 15 kms from an airbase, but this is/was a live Op and the base was being rocketed on a daily basis!!!! I bit my tongue, until I saw one of their gravs in the galley, with the bayonet (sheathed) fitted to the weapon. At this point I hit the roof, found their Sqn boss and read him his future. He was a pathetic little groveller who tried to blame it on the RSOI DS!!!! In short they are a bunch of wannabe walts, hence the "the Real 1 para" tee shirts worn by 1 Sqn. Kn obbers the lot of 'em. If that's how you see your life turning out then good luck. Or challenge yourself and join the Corps.

BTW, I expect most RMs to be able to extend beyond their 22 or age 40 fairly soon, so don't let that put you off.

Thank you for the post and welcome to RR. There are a few ex-booties of various shapes and sizes on here but watch out for blobby in his noddy outfit as it aint pretty!!

frankieb

Midshipman
I do understand what you guys are saying but the RAF regiment must be good because on their website it say's they they support the special forces just like the para's and rm.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Frankie, (Happy New Year, by the way)

I'm not sure if you're attempting to wind people up, but if you are not sure which to join, then the answer is obvious given the commitment required to successfully complete commando training.

In my experience, no trained RM Commando has elected to transfer to the RAF Regt that I'm aware of, however the reverse occurs fairly frequently, certainly in my experience.

Good luck to you.