RAF gunner or Royal marine

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by frankieb, Dec 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I have just been given a place as a RAF gunner and am going to the potential marine course. I cannot decide which to go to? What is the difference between the two, apart from the fact that one is navy and one is RAF. Can anyone give me any info on the pro's and con's of both.

your help will be much appreciated

2. Arn't RAF Gunners just failed Marines anyway?

(Should start a debate)

3. Is this for a career or just a job?

RAF careers are until age 55 iirc, whereas the mob only let you stay until age 40 unless you are "lucky".

4. according to the RAF Reg they're part of the ''Big 3''. Its a concept they invented and most Bootnecks and Paras just snigger at the chadness of it.

If you want to be a soldier and do your trade on operations join the Marines or even the Army.
    I haven't really got alot of good stuff to say about the Raf Reg, They are probably the most underused and inexperienced of all the Infantry regiments (if thats what they are).

5. According to your posts of Dec 3, 15 and 16 you were trying to decide whether to join RM as an officer or other rank, and you still don't know what RM do?

Visit the RM and the RAF Reg websites, both have descriptions of their roles and both show what is involved in their training. If you still cannot see the difference between the two should join the RAF, it's shorter and easier.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Succinctly put.

My advice? You need to be 100% committed to be a successful Royal Marine Commando therefore, much as I respect the RAF Regiment who are very good at what they do, the RAF is possibly your safer bet if you're not sure.

Good luck whichever you choose.

7. thanks for that lads. I have decided to be a regular soldier not a officer (just to clear things up). I have been told by some that the RAF treat you better in terms of accomidation e.t.c or is this just rubbish or is there some truth in this?

8. Haven't you seen "Reach for the Skies"?
    Sat around eating egg n bacon drinking good 'ole British Tea by the pint and waiting, just waiting for the dreaded bell. :D

9. Meanwhile my grandad who was in the RAF RegT during that time was fed swede and curried meat because it was rotten!!

Deep joy!!

:thumright:

10. What?
    The Swede?

11. During Telic 1 there was an incident where a troop of RAF Reg were attached to us and a section with two vehicles had a mine strike. Although no one was injured we had to do a CASEVAC because one of the lads in the rear vehicle was convinced that he had been hurt and proceeded to administer the issued morphine to himself! The next day a member from the same section also had to be CASEVAC’d because he managed to “accidentally†inject himself with his atropine pen!!! Nice one lads!!!!!!

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Can you do "barrier up"........"barrier down".....?

If I've spelt it wrong, or you know what I'm talking about, that gives you a pointer....

13. Surely thats the job of the RAFP.

14. wet_blobby

Is it?

15. Doe's anybody remember The recruiting Ad they did in magazines a few years back? The final statement on it was '' We're a bit like the Marines really!'' Nuff said on that one.

Also they've stolen the nickname of the marines Mountain leaders!
    ''Rock Apes'' My ring piece!

16. wet_blobby

Mind you, Raf birds do seem to be better looking than jenny (except occifers)

17. Not anymore, that's the job for the MPGS.

18. wet_blobby

MPGS work overseas?

19. Blobbs is right. When everybody else is taking scalps, The Rock cakes tend to crack lots of big arms barrier work. Usually in the country next door.

20. What, better than the stadard issue Wren?????? Never!!!!