RAF Drop Bomb "By Accident"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Potential_Officer, Oct 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Tsk, Tsk.

It's happened several times before, a practice bomb was dropped on an Aircraft Carrier too.

Whoopsie

Clumsy, eh?

2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

It's not an accident, it's an incident ^_^;

There are plenty of ways this could happen, two of which you have mentioned, bits fall off aircraft all the time they are machines. Think of all the exhausts, tyres, bumpers etc that you see littered along the motorway ............... then look up and ponder!

PS I was there Ninja :thumright:

3. The RAF seem to have a habit then of dropping bombs incorrectly!

I agree Chieftiff that they are machines, but both the Bomb connections to the airframe and that part of the airframe are checked before each flight for damage, how many people check their exhaust thoroughly before setting off, I would also hope that the Tornado is cared for slightly more than your average car!

Its hardly very safe otherwise to have these machines flying over urban areas if 14kg bits are liable to fall off and into a population centre!

4. Kudos for warning people in advance - I'm having visions of one of those claimsdirect adverts telling the harrowing tale of a hiker tripping over the thing.

"I received £5000 from the MOD!"

5. If they keep this up, they'll claim they have a "tradition."

6. chieftiff

True, we do check aircraft after each flight, and there would have been a multitude of checks on the armament system, the CBLS and the bombs before launch................. however aircraft (civil and military) are also a bit more complicated than your average car, 14Kg isn't a particularly big bit.

Video of more bits falling off a Merlin this time

7. It is if it lands on your head or hits your house !!

8. chieftiff

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Anyone wanna buy it before I put it on ebay?

10. Appreciate your point Chief - too much £1.26 a bottle cider !!

11. now were have I heard that before, I wonder?

and Isa', I totally agree if drops on your head it WILL most definatelly affect you, whether it goes bang or not don't really matter then does it? :toilet:

12. Could be any number of things, as the chiefy points out, the stores carrier is checked before and after flight by a bombhead, but it either fell off because of a faulty carrier, a fault in flight (heavy vibration etc), it wasn't loaded correctly or the pilot released it. I thought the CBLS were a bit prone to dropping stuff anyway (greenie dits?), you went to drop one and all four went, stuff like that. The plain ERU for dropping heavy stores was much more reliable, since it uses a power cartridge (gas operated) and the old EMRU on the helos is usually safe, until you start fiddling with the GLSP while the store is on the hoist. I think the odd jammer pod and stingray got a flot test that way. Junglies know all about the SACRU/CRUSA fun when the pilot has a mindfart and drops the load (artillery piece..!) instead of whatever he meant to do (pull collective, PTT, turn on landing lamp etc)

Still, its the commercial aircraft you should worry about. They are far bigger, have more panels, and barely a walkround is done before they are skybound. The chunks of ice that fall off them and end up in peoples houses.....as the pilot remembers,"oh yeah, better turn on the anti-icing" dropping a sheet the size of a snooker table off the inner wing. Cargo planes have even less people looking at them on the ramp, so take off with all sorts of bits hanging off, cables and hoses from GSE etc. You don't have to browse far through airliners.net to see the horror stories in pictures.

13. Bit like this one then :thumright:

[​IMG]

14. Nice one WB.

I think that the RAF was being a bit economic with the truth. If one of those bombs goes of you definately don't want to be too close. An Italian airman tried it many years ago in Sardinia (RAF bomb), ended up looking lime something out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon. We pissed ourselves laughing, our hosts were not amused.

Best one I heard, on a pre-planned bomding sortie a Staneval pilot (the one who checks others standards) successfully dropped a 1000 lb concrete bomb 6000 ft off target, allmost got the Italian Range Officer!

15. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Ah memories.The 10.3.1956 episode - a major NATO exercise was cancelled and ships diverted to search a large area of sea (nothing found).

btw good exercise - Crab Canberras playing the 'enemy' had to slow down so that Centaur's Sea Hawks could catch them.

16. More precision guided journalism; or perhaps the duty MoD-mouth was a Summer Casual. Now, 1,000 lb of cased concrete would almost be newsworthy.

17. We have never lost any because apart from the long since discontinued live drop tests, the RAF has never made a habit of carrying buckets of sunshine around. I think maybe we learnt from our glorius transatlantic comrades in arms.

18. Now a long time ago.

Liverpool Show "Here they come Ladies and Gentlemen the USAF Germany flying in to display" Meanwhile we are searching for four aircraft that should be here where can they be???

We have located them Ladies and Gentlemen they are giving a flying display over Liverpool Airport. Anybody can make a mistake!

Crash bang. Whatever is that noise! So the Lady jumps out of bed and discovers a tool box on her bedroom floor in her bungalow at Cronton.

On further investigation we discover it has dropped from the Huey[they came from Nam] passing over to Liverpool Airport en route from RAF/USAF Burtonwood flown by the camp "SAFETY OFFICER"

Now where was that Yorkie village green that woke one morning to discover a practise bomb dropped courtesy of USAF.

Crab Canberras playing the 'enemy' had to slow down so that Centaur's Sea Hawks could catch them.

Probably the same as the Phantom playing with the Tornado what a waste of money that update was.

http://foi.missouri.edu/classdeclass/modcat.html

Nuclear weapons were dropped or fell on four occasions, and other munitions struck the atomic weapons four times. Four of the incidents happened abroad, in Germany, Malta and near Hong Kong.

Sir Kevin Tebbit, the MoD's permanent secretary, has had to disclose the list following a six-year "open government" campaign by the Guardian. The MoD initially blocked the request submitted in 1997, prompting the newspaper to lodge a complaint with the ombudsman, Ann Abraham.

Finding the MoD guilty of maladministration, the ombudsman dismissed its objections and ruled that disclosing the information would not endanger the security of the nation. She also criticised the ministry for the "inordinate delay" in releasing the list.

One accident hushed up by the MoD was in 1960 in Lincolnshire. According to the MoD, "an RAF nuclear weapon load carrier, forming part of a convoy, experienced a brake failure on an incline and overturned". The MoD gives no other details, but insists "there was no damage to any nuclear weapon".

Three years later, on the border of Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire, there was another "brake failure on a nuclear weapon load carrier". The MoD does not give further details, but again says no weapons were damaged. Another brake failure happened in June 1985 near Glasgow.