RAF DEFECTOR!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by GJT59, Sep 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear All,

I am a 24 year old RAF Logistics Officer with 6 years commissioned service. Love the armed forces, fed up with the RAF supply branch! I have spoken to the careers office and very much fancy starting again and going RN warfare branch. Grateful for any general, advice particularly from peeps who have jumped from one service to another. Does anyone know if warfare are recruiting at the moment?

All advice gratefully received!

2. The RN are always looking for Warfare Officers - but have you considered RN Logistics Officer?

You may want to contact the Warfare or Loggies appointer in Portsmouth - find the RN Fleet website on the MOD intranet (do a search for FLEET in the RAF portal and you should find it) and look for DNCM (Directorate of Naval Career Management) or whatever they call themselves this week.

3. Thanks for the reply.

Call me cynical, but are the RN 'always' looking for warfare types because the chop rate is high or ppl decide they dont like it once in???

Had considered the loggie side, but i fancy a new direction. Any ideas on whether i would be expected to do the full dartmouth course?

Cheers!

4. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

The Warfare Branch does have a healthy throughput, but that is largely due to the fact that the branch is a competitive ******'s oasis, full of boorish ***** who believe that emerging from the hellish pupal stage of junior Warfare Officer (in which they are subjected to all sorts of dehumanising Tom Brown's schooldays japes and hatred) suddenly makes tham into steely-eyed destroyer captains-elect. It's bollocks, of course, because no sooner have they gained their thin stripe than they are tugging their forelocks to a grander **** in the Captain's chair who will destroy any compassion and guile and create a neighing, ******** who has only regard for one thing, that is itself. Sometimes there are exceptions to this rule and decent human beings emerge ... one whom for you would gladly sit in a section base in Fearnought waiting for the next raid. These are the realists ... they have the conviction that they wouldn't be where they are now save for the three hundred or so similar humans struggling with the shit and corruption down below their feet. Aside from all of this is the pointless scrambling for promotion ... the unadulterated flattery and cocksucking that takes place and the venal backstabbing of colleagues. I could accept it if it was covert, but most of the ship's company detect when a Warfare Officer is in zone.

*****. All of them.

Levers

5. Leavers I take it you don’t like warfare officers. By the way are these the same as the beasts P.W.O`s in the seventies and eighties?

6. Levers - insteresting choice of words to make a point; effective though. :lol:

SF

7. Succinct and to the point Levers!

You get your fair share of alpha male (and females) ********* in the RAF too - its all relative. Have you met the red arrows????

Im going straight to RAF hell for that one....

Personally Im married and would prioritise my wife over any backstabbing career push. Just want a new challenge in a new direction.

Levers - were you/are you warfare? I detect a wee bit of black humour, but would you advise against warfare? All I want is an interesting job - one preferably where i get to best pirates and stand avast the mizzentop (or somesuch!!!???)

Please feel free to correct my naive RN outlook!

8. GJT59 mate - you should have a serious look at the RN loggie side of things. It's actually a pretty good choice of branch to come into; statistically its one of the favourites for the Warfaries who have had enough of standing on the bridge for four hours on then off then on, etc.

Have you thought of actually getting yourself a couple of weeks secondment to experience it in person?

SF

9. SF,

I think in my case it would be far easier to apply for a loggie slot. However, I have spoken to your career types and the word is they are only taking very few on at the mo. It was also strongly intimated that i would be second best to any chopped aircrew/ATC types trying to re-branch. The idea of ship principal loggie is great, but i am a bit put off by all the secretariat posts that go with it. I think overall, I am much more attracted to the warfare side of the house - less chance of failing the numbers game at selection and better prospects after...

I suspect the careers office would be a starting place for a RN attachment?

What would you good people say is the realistic amount of time i can expect to be at sea in any 12 month period?

10. Re the attachment - I would probably go through your manpower people. You can also contact the RN Logs appointer for advice on 023 92 727474 (think that’s the right number - come back to me if not). You should only need a week or two at sea on one of the flattops to get what you need.

Re the whole "taking on a few at the moment". If you want it badly enough - you'll push hard and that will translate across to them that you're serious enough about it. If you don't look too interested, you can't expect them to be either.

SF

11. Hi GJT,

Yes, you will still have to do most of Dartmouth, possibly Initial Sea Training and Common Fleet Time too.

Quite a few people who join as Warfare Officers tend to rebranch when they find out that they are not all reincarnations of Nelson as they were told on JWO course. :wink:

BTW, I have nothing against Warfare Officers - I know plenty of great ones, but I have also seen how some of the junior ones can be treated.

12. SF,

Thanks for the number - il give it a go. My only experience at sea has so far been on a 2 week sailing exped across the english channel in a tiny 8-man jobba. Was i sick? oh yes!

Thanks for the advice everyone (even Levs! :wink: )

13. The sickness will pass; how do you think we manage otherwise.

A short stint onboard, preferably at sea, will let you know whether you're making the right career move.

SF

14. Even Nelson was Sea Sick.

Oh and Levers I'll try not to be that sort of prat when (hopefully) I'm a Warfare Officer.

15. Regarding....

What a bunch of chippy arrogant bitter biased unadultered bollocks. Levers my man, having admired your contribution for several months, I can now categorically state that you, Sir, are a lying, warped, cock-sucking, goat blowing, syphilitic pussball of a stinking grease monkey with a twisted view of a branch that, historically, has thought very highly of the badly-dressed, overweight, uneducated, awkward nob-jockeys of stokers' babysitters that litter the messes of this great Navy of ours. I hope your house burns down this very night, taking with it all your Diana-souvenirs, boring dits and "amusing" ties, and you lose the use of at least one of your tattooed sausages that you call limbs. Fuck you, with bells on, and pull your (undoubtedly ginger) head from your arse and take a long hard look at yourself.

To answer the question originally posed - for the first 12 or so years of a career, the Warfare branch go to sea almost continuously, with only occasional shore jobs or courses, which is how (as naval officers) should be. The Logistics officers, after their initial training - (IST, Fleet Time etc) go to sea twice - once as a Deputy Logistics Officer as a junior Lt, and once as a very senior Lt (rarely) or junior to mid-seniority Lt Cdr as the Logistics Officer. They also do not watch keep except at Action State, can delegate everything to their utterly professional Senior Ratings, and can therefore spend evenings at sea with the WE officers drinking wine and watching DVDs. The question that you have to ask, above all other considerations such as job satisfaction, career progression is:

1. Do I want to spend at least the next decade at sea, on a ship that is probably going to be based in Plymouth, watchkeeping continuously with very little shore time outside of short courses (until PWO course)?

If Yes, then (and only then) look into the Warfare vs Logistics debate, preferably with someone from one of those 2 branches rather than the most spiteful and unbalanced person who I have ever read on the internet (except Toobis the Canadian - Google him!). Feel free to PM me for a proper chat if you want, I'd be delighted to have an adult conversation about the subject!

For my tuppenceworth, as a seafarer who likes going to sea (and would rather stick razor blades in my intimate palces then work at Abbey Wood, where engineering types ejaculate in to the "lovely moat" and swap episodes of Star Trek for a night with their own wives) - it's a great job. You get a lot of responsibility early, it's hard work with long hours, and you go away a lot. But by being on board ships more often than not, you get a feel for the Navy in a way that no other branch does. Like any branch, there are wankers in it, but if you've only had 2 sea jobs, and you've been unlucky to serve with one, then at least you'll be adult enough to realise that they're the exception. By the time you're halfway through your second OOW job, you'll have more sea time than the MEO, WEO and LO anyway, so you'll get a more rounded picture of the different branches than certain people do.

All the JWOs (or IWOs as they are now stupidly called, thanks to some passed over ME Lt Cdr looking for an MBE to add to his collection of **** genital warts) I have ever met neither think, look, or act anything like Nelson, and although the training's tough - it has to be. A baby OOW is legally (yes, that's legally) responsible for the lives of everyone on board that ship. Even the non-combatant smelly types.

16. Stunning, absolutely breathtaking. Remind me not to rattle your cage. :wink:

17. Nice to see the command of Anglo-Saxon prose is alive and kicking!

18. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Oh come on geoffery, stop pulling your punches and say what you really mean :)

19. that's right you tell him FW!
    Geoffery mate, you need to take care you don't end up with splinters up your arrse from sitting too long on that fence :lol:

20. Geoffrey - whilst I may not agree with your comments, I would have to agree that your use of the English language can only be described as brilliance. Absolute poetry! We are not worthy ...

SF