Radio 4: Ministry of Defence Gets Stonewall's 'Most Improved' Award

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jan 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Simon Feeke, of the gay rights group Stonewall, has told Radio 4 that the Ministry of Defence has been given its "Most Improved" award for establishing strong leadership internally and helping gay and lesbian staff with career development.

The Ministry of Defence, the Army and the Royal Navy all feature in Stonewall's Top 100 Employers 2014, the definitive list of Britain's most gay-friendly workplaces, due for release today.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Reminds me of a potential candidate enquiring about joining the Navy.

"Bring all your educational certificates to your interview" I told him "And any other certificates you may hold for knitting, swimming, football, Duke of Edinburgh Awards..."

"Shall I bring my 'Most Improved Behaviour' award from school?" He asked.

"Oh yes, please do, it speaks volumes" :joker:
    • Like Like x 1

3. "The Ministry of Defence is Stonewall’s Most Improved Employer 2014. This award is given to the employer who makes the greatest improvement against the Workplace Equality Index criteria in the previous 12 months. With close to 50,000 employees in the UK alone, the Ministry of Defence is one of the largest public sector employers. Their vision is to create “a workforce, uniformed and civilian, that is drawn from the breadth of the society we defend, that gains strength from that society’s range of knowledge,experience and talent and that welcomes, respects and values the unique contribution of every individual.”

In line with this vision, the Ministry of Defence has redoubled its efforts over the last year to create a positive working environment for LGB employees. Using the tailored feedback delivered by Stonewall, the Ministry of Defence aligned their action plan to the Index’s assessment framework. This year the employer had strengthened their Workplace Equality Index assessment in every area of good practice, with particular gains around:

– Community engagement

– Supplier and procurement policies

– Career development for LGB staff

– Actions resulting from monitoring.

Core to their success has been the work done by their LGBT Network, a social and career support forum for LGBT staff. Established in 2001,the network has grown exponentially and supports the organisation in policy review, staff engagement, service delivery and has extensively engaged with other internal staff networks. Impressively, the network offers a range of support for the career development of staff members.

The most significant improvement made by the Ministry of Defence over the last year has been around community engagement. From sponsoring the Gay & Lesbian Youth in Northern Ireland to advertising in ‘pink media’, they have made a visible commitment to the lesbian, gay and bisexual community and have actively raised their profile as an employer of choice for gay staff.

Quick Facts

Number of UK employees:49,243

Sector: Government

UK headquarters: London

Diversity Champion since: 2003

"One of my key aims as a leader is to ensure that everyone is given the opportunity to perform at their very best. People are more productive, creative, loyal and successful when they can truly be themselves at work. Winning this award shows that we have taken meaningful action to address our working cultures in order to unlock the full potential of our people by recognising the strength of their diversity.

Jon Thompson
    Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Defence"

The MoD is listed at number 35 in this year's Top 100 Employers. The Royal Navy is listed at number 79.

4. I think the surprising aspect is that the Army is officially as gay as the Navy, according to Stonewall.

In all seriousness though, do they demonstrate how the companies are marked or does that remain a secret?
  5. Just about sums this thread up !
  6. It appears to me that Stonewall is 'bigging itself up' to be more than it is.
  7. "Stonewall is 'bigging itself up' to be more than it is". Wouldn't that be painful?

8. I think that Stonewall tries to explain the criteria used from about Page 12 onwards of the downloadable report:

• Like Like x 1
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2