Radio 4 2000 Tue 29/5/07 State of the RN

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by stumpy, May 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tune in now!

2. Missed it.

Summary???

3. Cheers - I'll keep an ear out!!

4. Kin ell,its frightening!

5. Wait one.

Just downloading RealPlayer to listen to it on line........ :pc:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Thought it was OK actually. Nothing spoken that hasn't been aired on here.

Can't remember when anyone, in my last 26 years, said: "Hmmn, we've got plenty of ships, Stores are marvelous, we don't want for owt"

This program was no different.

Tell me, if something on your Bomber is broken & you're going operational, when are you not going to "borrow" the bit of kit off the other two if there isn't a spare on the shelf? They're not designed to have 3 operational at the same time, if they were, we'd have nine of them.

7. West was a good man but I think he should have been more robust at the time. On Air, the Minister simply discredited him on the FF/DD hulls in the water count.

For the current BBC, it seemed quite good. I expect the audience was bugger all though.

8. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Christ. Talk about hire the wrong bastards to speak on our behalf?

Sample quote:

"We have to 'chug' home at half speed to save fuel".

Aye. And if you stick both ******* Olympus on, you're down to an effective range of 800 miles. ********. 14 knots, trail one shaft, effective cruising speed. Has been for ******* years.

"We have to anchor off, and watch the shore through binoculars."

So, who is at fault here? Ship's Navigator for getting the passage speed and ETA wrong, or the NBC for saying, 'Tough shit, you got home the evening before"?

Jesus. The real issue is the wholesale slashing of support and training budgets and the rotten-to-the-core procurement policy which causes delay after avoidable delay. Multiply that with dickheaded smoke and mirrors policies like TOPMAST ("a GREAT success!") ship-swap, 18 month deployments and other less-than-morale-advantageous 'ideas', then you may get close. Ingram, by saying 'I'm not aware of this dip in morale' is either being spitefully ambivalent, or is patently being lied to by senior officers.

Both, I'd say. Only the deaths of our shipmates may higlight this to the equally ambivalent taxpayers and voters.

Levers

9. MinAF came across as saying "if it ain't declared at a Defence Committee hearing, it ain't true". I agree that there is nothing new here, and a few muppets as mouthpieces for the "scoop" who really ought to know better. The issue of cuts in platforms should have been more forceful, although we don't know what Adm West said behind closed doors.

But it doesn't take a genius to figure that if the RN is paying for a new fleet (which it is effectively doing in the CVFs, T45s, Astutes and MARS) at the same time as increased op tempo, then a 7% increase in the budget is not gonna cut it, and it is a shame that the Shadow SecDef didn't pound all over that one.

And it also doesn't take a genius to simply count the platforms needed for FGS, WIGS/WAGS, East of Suez, NATO commitment, Med commitment, Gulf, etc and add the number in dock for refits/upkeep, and some for training, to arrive at a number that is needed. I wholy agree that the time and circumstances require a new Review a la SDR '98, but that ain't gonna happen until after the next General Election. Meanwhile, Jack'll keep bleating until something really does go wrong.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Quite agree, the truth is that Ingram was wrong-footed on several occasions. He clearly didn't have a fcuking clue what he was on about, whether he'd been briefed or not. The words "bone" and "bleedin' " spring to mind.

Wheeling-out people who drip about "Storerob" & not getting home in time for tea & biccies, together with a "grey admiral" was hardly an inspirational Tour de Force and led to a less than inspirational programme.

11. "We have to 'chug' home at half speed to save fuel".
    I see nothings changed since the '60s

"We have to anchor off, and watch the shore through binoculars."
    Fookin luxury!
    The usual routine was, anchor off, clear lower deck to paint ship

12. Ninja_Stoker

Aye, bet you were given paintbrushes too, 'appen.

We had to pluck our eyebrows & knit our own, whilst being flogged with a moist lettuce leaf....

13. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

That's **** all ...

Levers

14. Ninja_Stoker

Christ, you've got a sense of humour TOO? :hello1: