Radiation shielding on submarines (SSBN)

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by JJ1, Mar 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JJ1

JJ1

Hello, could anyone give me any info on whether the nuclear warheads onboard the SSBN subs emit radiation, and if so are they encased in shielding in the same / similar way as the main reactor?
    Also, is crew radiation exposure higher on SSBN's compared to SSN's?

thanks in advance for any answers

2. Why do you want to know?

3. JJ1

JJ1

I'm joining the navy in May and going in as an Engineering technician, Marine engineering (Submariner)

4. All you need to know is the radiation levels on a boat are less than you'd be getting sitting in the sunshine on Newquay beach.

5. JJ1

JJ1

Ok, thanks for that. One other thing I was wondering, i'm not a smoker, but can crew members smoke onboard Royal Navy submarines?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  6. Only if they are outside, i.e. on the casing or in the top of the fin. As you would not be able to light up if the casing and fin were under water, obviously the boat has to be on the surface. Smoking inside is banned at all times, though I dare say there are one or two people who break this rule.

7. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

I remember when the ban came in. Even as a non smoker, I thought it was a bit harsh to tell a smoker he was on the wagon for a patrol's duration. From time to time you may think there's a small puff of nicotine, though. Happy with that as it's better than getting one's spine ripped out by a tabber on cold turkey.

8. I remember when we weren't allowed to smoke in the mess 30 mins before meals until after the mess was cleaned, and this had some people on edge. No smoking during the first reel either, which meant that every smoker lit up as soon as the reel-change started. There weren't many non-smokers.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes. All submariners smoke. Blokes.

10. I've seen a heavy smoker Chief of the Watch break an equaliser early because he couldn't hack the no smoking, he then altered the battery log. On a T boat I never saw the problem with people tabbing down the AMS, there was never a shortage of people volunteering to do domestics.

When I joined boats every watchkeeping position had a built in ash tray and all the racks were fitted with one, people even tabbed up down the bomb shop!!

11. True, had to wipe the warheads ( Mk 8s) for Rounds to remove the stubbing out marks.