Race chief may quit in row over Brown's all white Cabinet

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Jul 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Is he saying that positions should be reserved for people on grounds of race regardless of merit? Makes a mockery of those non-whites who pull themselves up by their own endeavours. Can't he see how insulting he is to his own kind?

Look how useless those Blair Babes were because flaky Tone decided he had to have female ministers regardless of their, eventually proven, unsuitability. Mind you Tone's male cronies were utterly unsuited to run a whelk stall also.

2. Resigning would be the best move he could make. He's probably done more to damage positive race relations than to promote them whilst he's been in the job.

2BM

3. However the Police, Armed Forces etc seem to chase a quota. There was a recruitment drive some years ago & I think it worked out at £100,000 for each person recruited. An MP is one of the few jobs where you need no qualifications. I'll do the job for half his pay, I'm a minority I'm English.
    As an afterthought the cabinet has been stuffed with Jocks for some years now so we are run by a minority already.

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Ironic, but understandable as they are a public service being run by NuLabour, that the police seem to be doing something which is flagrantly illegal, let alone reducing their effectiveness by rejecting the best candidates. Only obeying orders of course.

5. Couldn't agree more "seaweed",

6. If it so happens that the best candidates for the jobs are all white, then who fcuking cares?

7. Re: Race chief may quit in row over Brown's all white Cabine

All right then, just to play 'Devils Adocate'. What do white people know about racism?

8. Harry,

White people may not know allot about racism, but we are finding out fast. Due to the sudden appearance of 'quotas' and 'positive discrimination' the young white male is the most oppressed member of our society. It would appear that all this is to appease the few members of the 'ethnic' groups who don't like having to rely on their actual talents or ability! Instead the want all the goodies they can milk out of the bleeding hearts in government, and if they don't get it they can always shout "it's is because I am (insert ethnic / sexual / religous group here). I suppose the original Mr Blair (AKA George Orwell) had it right "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others." Well we all know who the more equal are now.

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Re: Race chief may quit in row over Brown's all white Cabine

If they're English in today's Britain, then quite a lot! :banghead:

10. Re: Race chief may quit in row over Brown's all white Cabine

The examples that you quote are examples of discrimination, not racism and in any case are highly subjective. Just so that we ar in no doubt as to the difference this is an example of racism:

11. The old rule was if you ain't qualified you dont get the job.
    Bending the rules also rules out the also rans who didnt quite make the grade.
    I think its called positive discrimination.

12. Re: Race chief may quit in row over Brown's all white Cabine

Harry
    I am unable to understand what is racist about my comment. Are you implying that it is racist because I mentioned a white person or is it racist because I mentioned racist move?
    I can see no reasonwhy the chairman of the Commission for Equality and Human Rights cannot be white, black,brown,yellow or any other colour.

13. Re: Race chief may quit in row over Brown's all white Cabine

Slim

"Perhaps he should quit and let a white person be appointed to his position"

Or did you mean perhaps he should quit and let a more able person be appointed to his position?

14. Re: Race chief may quit in row over Brown's all white Cabine

Many thanks, I can see that this could be construed as being racist, however it was in response to Trevor Phillips outrage at an all white cabinet. I will therfore agree with you that my remarks were just as racist as those made by Trevor Phillips.

15. Perhaps Mr Phillips would do better to address the real problem, that is there are not enough good candidates from the groups he claims to represent coming forward into politics. Perhaps it would be a good thing if he put himself forward for election next time round.

16. Re: Race chief may quit in row over Brown's all white Cabine

Same thing.

Incoming!!!!!!!!!

17. Statistically it helps a lot if you are a lawyer or one of your parents was an MP. It also helps greatly if you have lots of money and are prepared to part with some of it for party funds.

18. Re: Race chief may quit in row over Brown's all white Cabine

As far as I am aware, Trevor Phillips has never been elected to do anything, but is a political appointee.

There's always a problem with single-interest politics - perspective is lost. I don't carry any flag for GB, but he has decided to change some of the members of the cabinet, which is one of the perks of his job. If UK gets a better service, I have no problem with that.

I'd bet that TP's Quango pays him quite well, so, Trevor, if you can't take the heat..........