R.N.R. Diver

pigdog29

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
I would be very grateful for some first hand information on R.N.R. Divers.
I have had a look online and also spoken to the careers office (who although unlikely am hoping have made a small error), who say I am too old.
I am nearly 42 but had served previously in the Royal Artillery for just under 5 years, my understanding is the age limit was 39 unless with previous service.
Last year I had 2 metatarsal bones grafted and plated, meaning they are fully healed. Over the last 20 years I had run a number of marathons and a couple of Ultras with no problems (not trying to be clever) just showing my foot won't be a problem.
I am currently running 4 miles comfortably and wouldn't consider applying (if possible) until my mile and a half was sub 9 minutes.
The other phys aspects I am fairly happy with.
I have nearly 30 dives (not loads) and qualifications in Deep, Nitrox, Wreck, Dry suit and Night diving. I appreciate the difference between civvy diving and R.N. will be huge but hopefully shows some understanding.
Does anyone in the R.N.R. specifically divers think I have any hope or is the door firmly locked and bolted.
Kind regards a ex pongo.

soleil

War Hero
Good morning, pigdog.

I thought that you might find this section of BR3 interesting:

"0722. RNR/RMR Recruiting Process - Age Limits and Waivers

a. Normal age limits are detailed in the CNR BR 3 Eligibility Matrix (Para 0759). However, NPT(RES) may approve age waivers for candidates who do not meet the age criteria.

b. Age Waivers. If the candidate falls outside the age limits for RNR/RMR candidates, Careers Staff are to take the following actions:

(1) Careers Staff are to make a formal application for an age waiver to CNR RP using the standard approval to process method. Once received the application will be forwarded to the NPT(RES) Branch Manager for RNR candidates and NPT(RM) RMR Career Manager for RMR.

(2) If approved, eligible and recommended the candidate is to be processed in the normal way.

I was wondering whether it would be in your interests to be in touch with your local RNR Unit.

Where is your nearest City/Town?

pigdog29

Morning Soleil,
Thankyou, that was exactly what I was hoping for. I live in Coventry for my sins but belive H.M.S. Forward in Birmingham would be the nearest shore based establishment.
So it may be worth contacting H.M.S. Forward and re enquiring at the recruiting office at the same time.
Very helpful to have that down in black and white.
Cheers Pigdog

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I have nearly 30 dives (not loads) and qualifications in Deep, Nitrox, Wreck, Dry suit and Night diving. I appreciate the difference between civvy diving and R.N. will be huge but hopefully shows some understanding.
Does anyone in the R.N.R. specifically divers think I have any hope or is the door firmly locked and bolted.
Kind regards a ex pongo.
My bold. PLEASE tell me there should be another number in there somewhere? If only 30 dives, then you have not even settled on a comfortable kit configuration yet!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Have a look at the search function, top right, they are not recruiting regular divers at the moment, don't know if this applies to RNR

pigdog29

SONAR-BENDER,
I know its very light on dives but hopefully they may take pity on me?!
Also I can't learn any more bad habits:).

Janner, the most up-to-date I could find backed up what you are saying but thought its worth a couple of emails or calls.
Thanks to you all.

soleil

War Hero
Morning Soleil,
Thankyou, that was exactly what I was hoping for. I live in Coventry for my sins but belive H.M.S. Forward in Birmingham would be the nearest shore based establishment.
So it may be worth contacting H.M.S. Forward and re enquiring at the recruiting office at the same time.
Very helpful to have that down in black and white.
Cheers Pigdog
The HMS Forward page on the RN website is showing the following e-mail address, pigdog -

[email protected]

It might be worth striking while the iron is hot and e-mailing them today.

For clarification on the waiver eligibility, you could also send an e-mail to the RN Careers Advisors in Coventry - ask them about whether that paragraph from BR3 would be applicable in this instance. E-mail address is:

[email protected]

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
PD - And I think you should get diving. With all these 'qualifications' you have amassed in only 30 dives, I know what organisation trained you!

Find and join a local dive club. I mean you no disrespect, but be aware they may be slightly less than impressed by your 'experience', however, they WILL take you out and make their own minds up. Get some good old dark and cold British dives behind you! NOT STONEY COVE!!! Real dives!

From my POV over many years of diving, the worst thing to happen (on holiday) is to be buddied up and asking what grade they are, only to be told they are 'Advanced'. For those of you not in the know, 'Advanced' in one particular dive training organisation is the second step up and can be 'attained' after something like a total of 10 dives.

I've rescued / lifted more than one 'Advanced' diver over the years.

pigdog29

Soleil, that sounds great. Cheers.

SONAR-BENDER, I am well aware my experience is minimal. The courses I have done are due to my workplace paying each year for any form of training. This means as I am an infrequent diver I get to dive with knowledgeable dive masters and stay safe.
I mentioned it not to try and impress but it does have some relevance no matter how small.
Hopefully now restrictions are being relaxed I can get out and about and get some dive time in.
Do you dive as a civvy or are you a R.N. diver?
Cheers Pigdog.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
@pigdog29
Sorry, chap came to this party a bit late.

There is little I can add to the wisdom of my colleagues above. As suggested get the ball-rolling on the application portal, as these things do take some time to process, even without a global pandemic.

Take the advice and engage with your local unit, having them onside will assist as things progress.

However, you should be aware that diver training is on hold across a wide part of the MoD currently, following accidents in the training pipeline. I'm not going to elucidate, but much of the detail is now open source. This might well delay things for you diver wise.

As I understand it the diver branch will carry-out further assessments before allowing you into the branch.

Advice is to proceed with application, but be aware that you may well be held in the Seaman Branch for a considerable period.
Hope that adds something to the mix.
BH

Waspie

War Hero
I would think that on average they drag a couple a week out off of Portland.
Did most of my SAR work off the West of Scotland! Most cases it was leisure or commercial divers going outside their limits!!!! One diver is now a paraplegic. He lied to us when recovered as a result he wasn't decompressed properly!!!
On the bright side, we got some mega cool low flying after recovery!!! Wave top height at 120 knots!!!!

Stirlin

War Hero
Did most of my SAR work off the West of Scotland! Most cases it was leisure or commercial divers going outside their limits!!!! One diver is now a paraplegic. He lied to us when recovered as a result he wasn't decompressed properly!!!
On the bright side, we got some mega cool low flying after recovery!!! Wave top height at 120 knots!!!!
Did you catch any cod , massive shoals of them in that area. :)

Stirlin

War Hero
S'pose a hand line would be out of the question , cod would not be able catch the bait as it whizzed by at that speed. Flying so low at that rate of knots the fish all probably went '' WTF ? ''

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
SONAR-BENDER, I am well aware my experience is minimal. The courses I have done are due to my workplace paying each year for any form of training. This means as I am an infrequent diver I get to dive with knowledgeable dive masters and stay safe.
I mentioned it not to try and impress but it does have some relevance no matter how small.
Hopefully now restrictions are being relaxed I can get out and about and get some dive time in.
Do you dive as a civvy or are you a R.N. diver?
Cheers Pigdog.
Well done you! Use the system!

I was a Ship's Diver (then SD Supervisor) when they had them, so RN trained. Got a civvy ticket and am now a FCD, AI and was a SADS. Still diving - over 30 years now.

Waspie

War Hero
S'pose a hand line would be out of the question , cod would not be able catch the bait as it whizzed by at that speed. Flying so low at that rate of knots the fish all probably went '' WTF ? ''
Maybe a new sport, extreme fly fishing! :p

pigdog29

Branch-Hopper- more useful advice and something to consider. Cheers.

SONAR-BENDER- sounds like it paid off well for you. Nice one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hanginout1664 Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
U Choice of Base (Diver/Marines) Joining the Royal Navy 8
C Mine Clearance Diver - Glasses/Contact Lenses Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
C Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
M Mine Clearance Diver Entry Joining the Royal Navy 3
D Clearance Diver Deployments Joining the Royal Navy 1
R Transfer from RM to Navy Diver UPO/Careers Office 3
S No diver recruitment?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
M mine clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp QGM for Killick Diver The Fleet 1
B Royal navy mine clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Royal Navy Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
F Diver to PTI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
V Ex RAF > Diver (timeframe?) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
J Mine Clearance Diver Eyesight Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
SONAR-BENDER Conshelf 20 - Diver or Diver's Yeo question Diamond Lil's 2
T Joint as a Royal Navy Clarence Diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Day to day life for a Clearance Diver? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D PRNC for potential MC Diver Health & Fitness 3
GreedoTheFerret Yet another clearance diver thread... Sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B RNR~WarSea or Diver?!?! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
D Mine Clearance Diver Application Process, Dive Medical. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Applying for mine clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
BFRS CSWIP 3.2U - NDT Inspection Diver - Middlesbrough The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Harry_Von_Scrinse Strange Diver Patch History 4
C Royal Navy Mine Clearence DIver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
U RN Mine Clearance Diver - PDA Dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Service length for a diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
S Mine Clearance Diver fitness pass marks. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Transfer aet to diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C Branded transfer Aet to diver The Fleet 5
S Mine Clearance Diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
P RN Diver Shortages Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
L Mine clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
C Experience as a mine clearance diver. The Fleet 6
B Mine Clearance Diver Hours? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
C Mine clearance diver physical fitness. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Naval Medic Becomes The First To Pass Diver Course" Bases / Shore Est 0
C Royal Navy clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 48
soleil Herald: "Diver Calls On Devonport Naval Base To Stop Dumping 'Toxic Sludge'" Bases / Shore Est 0
S Ships Diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Mine Clearance Diver - a few questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 62
J Navy diver The Gash Barge 8
L Royal navy diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil Mail: "RN Diver's Logbook Offers Fascinating Insight Into Life On WW1 Submarine" Submariners 0
R RN- Mine Clearance Diver The Quarterdeck 7
SONAR-BENDER A diver in the kack. Diamond Lil's 5
trelawney126 Anti tank projectile Robin Hood Airport ex RN diver examines MoD News 17