R N Counterpanes

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by rod-gearing, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does the RN still have those reversable anchor style blue and white counterpanes on the beds in barracks anymore.
    I remember having to turn mine over to white side on sundays and blue for week days.(Ganges)
    Or is it all duvets nowadays?
    :? :? :?
  2. What's a counterpane?

3. Rod i think they went out yonks ago.I have been trying to get my hands on one for years with no luck so far.I do know they have some on HMS Belfast,but i dont think they would take too kindly to me proffing one or two!
  4. Tried searching for one but no luck,I remember them being sold in Guz years ago but the shop no longer exsists.
  5. Its like a bedspread that you put over the top to cover the sheets and blankets etc.Makes everything look tiddly.
  6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Royal Hospital School at Holbrook also used to use them up to the mid 1970s to my knowledge, they were also standard issue in MQs in the 60s and 70s. Apart from the Belfast I've only seen them in pictures, and sad bastard that I am I also would like to get my hands on one!
  7. Now it's single living accommodation (with duvets)... hadn't heard of a "counterpane" until now :wink:
  8. Perhaps there's a niche in the market for 'old salts' to purchase counterpanes; any budding entrepreners out there?
  9. Sad old B'stard that I am, I have one one the back of my computer chair right now . No, it's not for sale. :oops:
  10. knut! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go on!Gizzit!
  11. I'd love to acquire an original one from the G Spot. The seller would be at least £100 richer for one in good condition. :)

Karma, THIS is a counterpane... the stripey thing on their pits, under their kit...

PS: I still use one at home, made in the 1950s, on top of my duvet, when it's cold...
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Go on mate, I could do with a new computer chair.

You can keep the counterpane. (I used to represent the mob in Counterpane Hurdling, you know....)
  13. Oh, THOSE things!
  14. If I knew how to post pics on here I'd show the youngsters what a proper counterpane is. Those Ganges one's that you are showing in that pic Steve, were the modern replacements (ie Cheap) that came about in the 70's.
  15. They went out of service in the 70s - having said that, as a Dusty, I thought it my duty to preserve one for history... :wink:
  16. Not quite Steve,

The true counterpane is blue/white embroidered with a central design of the fouled anchor, predominately blue one side, and white the other.

God knows what that stripey thing is unless it's an artist's license ?

17. Whitemouse, we had those stripey ones at Fisgard squadren in 95 and at Sultan till at least 98. Cheap carp!
  18. Better than the things they gave us during AMP in Pompey (we were in the Barracks) - some sort of dimpled blue/grey cloth, which didn't even fit the bed !

19. Thats like the first pussers duvets like a bl0ody postage stamp, either chest or feet warm, and no moving in the night or all the heat would go!
  20. And don't roll onto your side as it didn't touch the pit on either side.

[small]edited for ridiculous, if amusing, typo[/small]