Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by seafarer1939, Aug 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not easily shocked but the fact this Surgeon gave a lot of her time to help save the sight of these youngsters and others in such a shit place then to be executed only helps me make up my mind to leave these animals to their own shithole of a country that's still in the Dark Ages.
    I care not if it was bandits or as claimed,the Taliban,they deserve to wallow in their own pig swill.You don't kill people who are helping you unless you are an animal and where in the Koran does it say that?
    I feel really sorry for her,she had a lot to live for with a fine career.
    I don't see any Saudi,Somalian etc doctors out there in the dangerous places doing what she did,they are their brothers in religion so where are they?
    Sorry for the rant but what a waste of a beautiful woman,so skilled now lost,for what?
  2. Yes have to agree what a waste of a beautiful and talented young women who went to help others .Her husband to be will be devastated
  3. I suspect the work this brave doctor and her team performed was a much greater threat to the Taliban and their fellow travellers in terms of COIN 'hearts & minds' than any number of Coalition air strikes or 'seek & destroy' missions and that's why they were targetted. She epitomised the selfless spirit of Livingstone - changing people's lives for the better despite the risks.

Sincere condolences to her family, friends and colleagues.
  4. Great post with good insight. You very accurately sum up the fact that Dr. Lee and her colleagues were a very grave threat to a nihilistic ideology.

[align=center]No good deed goes unpunished
    No act of charity goes unresented
    No good deed goes unpunished
    That's my new creed
    My road of good intentions
    Led where such roads always lead
    No good deed
    Goes unpunished![/align]

5. It's a sickening murder of good people and whoever did this are vile disgusting scum.
  6. RIP.
  7. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...for-aid-killings/story-e6frg6so-1225905586761

Afghan police chief blamed for aid killings

* August 16, 2010 12:00AM

A DEAL between the Taliban and a rogue Afghan police chief was partly to blame for the militants' slaughter of eight foreign aid workers.

Six Americans, two Afghans, a German and a Briton were killed in Badakhshan province as they returned from a medical mission earlier this month.

The agreement struck by Commander Malik, police chief of the Kuran Wa Munjan district in Badakhshan, allowed the Taliban to move through his territory into neighbouring provinces, Afghan intelligence sources said.

"Malik has cut a deal with the Taliban to protect his interests in the mining industry up there," said an intelligence agent who did not want his name made public. "He lets the Taliban use his land to move through as long as they don't cause trouble on his territory."

Commander Malik and his militia were recently assimilated into the Afghan police force to bring them under government control. Commander Malik was made district police chief.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Another intelligence source alleged that the former mujaheddin fighter against the Soviet occupation in the 1980s turned a blind eye to Taliban troops on his land to protect his lapis lazuli mines.

"He still acts outside the government. He lives in a large house in the mountains and is almost impossible to reach," said the agent.

Taliban fighters have begun to use southern Badakhshan as a transit route into previously secure northern provinces such as Baghlan and Kunduz. Both provinces have been destabilised by the Taliban in the past year, forcing German troops to mobilise a ground offensive in Kunduz.

The team from the International Assistance Mission, a Christian charity, were returning from a 190km trek on foot and horseback to treat villagers in the Nuristan region when their convoy was ambushed by gunmen on August 5.

Their three vehicles had stopped after fording a swollen river that had washed out part of the dirt track.

As they clambered out of their cars, 10 Taliban fighters rushed at them, shooting in the air. "What's going on?" shouted the trek leader, Tom Little, 62. One of the gunmen knocked him to the ground with his rifle before killing him with a bullet to the gut.

When two women climbed into a stationary 4WD one of the attackers lobbed a hand grenade into the Toyota, killing both.

Another gunman whipped British doctor Karen Woo across her face with the butt of his Kalashnikov before shooting her twice in the back. The team's cook was shot dead as he hid beneath a 4WD. The sole survivor, an Afghan driver called Safiullah, said he was spared after falling to his knees and reciting Koran verses. As the attackers fled, dragging Safiullah with them, their leader, who spoke Urdu, said into his radio, "Mission complete", suggesting the ambush had been planned.

After marching for eight hours, the gunmen let Safiullah go and disappeared into the mountains.

Intelligence sources privy to the account of the lone survivor said it appeared the Taliban had tracked the medical team for days. The fighters spoke to each other in Pashaye, a rare dialect used in Sunni-dominated Nuristan.

"It appears the doctors were followed across the mountain passes between Nuristan and Badakhshan by the Taliban. The information we have suggests that this was a targeted killing," said an agent who works for the Afghan security service.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

The Sunday Times
  8. Well put seafarer! You see what a waste of a life that is all in the name of a misguided idealogy and it is so annoying! You can understand people becoming insular and saying "sod em let em sort their own mess out!"
  9. I can only hope that the perpetrators of what is a cowardly act,themselves suffer from a severe,wasting,agony ridden, flesh eating form of a disease and that just before they die in excruciating agony their tiny minds come to realise that this doctor could have saved them and their families!
    Too much to hope for I think.
  10. Do we need any more proof that trying to visit Western mores on this "nation" is a complete waste of time, money and, most of all, our Servicemens' lives?
  11. Having never been out there I canna comment on it being a shitehole. I do know my cousin was a eye surgeon and the years it took her to gain this experience/training was unbelievable studying at Liverpool Eye Hospital the skeleton[must have been plastic] hanging in her wardrobe while she was studying her basics. Sadly that disgusting cancer ended her short life.

All that knowledge this Doctor had gone in seconds by a useless uneducated piece of filth, winning the hearts and minds is a bad thing for the Taliban I think an infectious eye disease to his loved ones would bring the point over to him/her how vital this Lady was to the community.