QVRM - New Years Honours 2011

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Parade_Ho, Dec 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nil return I see.

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Is there someone who has been overlooked, someone that you recommended? Or are you one of those who think that there should always be someone, anyone awarded otherwise it's so unfair?

Once again no Juniors / Other Ranks have been knighted, it's so unfair. :roll:

3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

As predicted, and here it is. How many more drips this year?

4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Not so much a drip about lack of love, but a point of view - why is it that the RNR is not staffing worthy cases? I don't think its a case of 'the RNR being ignored', but the RNR simply not understanding how the nomination process for the QVRM works and having it staffed properly at the right levels.

I can think of some well deserved recipients in previous years, who had their work at unit level acknowledged nationally. However for whatever reason, there seems to be a blockage in the staffing chain - I've seen comments from people in the process saying 'send us nominations and staff them, so we can try to get it sorted' but for whatever reason this isn't happening.

Rather than dripping, I'd do the following - if you know someone who you think deserves a QVRM, then go and find out what you need to do to nominate them and get the ball rolling (or nag your DO / Chain of Command to do so). I think the blockage is ocurring at lower levels, with people not understanding the process, and it being filed in the 'too difficult to do' box.

Lets not make this a drip, but lets learn and sort it for next year, as I can think of some very hard working people who deserve this award!

5. The whole area of honours has been contentious since they started dishing them out. Just about everybody that has ever served will know of either somebody that did not deserve one who got one and conversely someone who certainly did deserve one and who never got it. I think that this certainly applies more to the non operational honours as opposed to the operational ones for gallantry; it is probably appropriate to leave gallantry out of this comment and post.

I am certain that all nominations are staffed meticulously and the rules are followed in absolute black and white. I cannot suggest a better system than the one that is currently in place.

I took a look at the full honours list and in particularly for the AF this year – I’ve put the hyperlink at the bottom of the post (scroll to near the bottom) – and make the following observations:

Someone who gives their time voluntarily in serving their community for no or little reward undoubtedly deserves recognition – I am thinking here of the volunteer football coach who looks after a youth team. Someone who merely is considered to have done their job quite well but just happens to work for the government and someone wrote them up well is of course a different matter. That is IMHO of course, I am certain that there will be someone who will disagree with me here. I suspect that the people that will disagree most will be the senior officers who have picked up the MBE/OBE on the way which quite frankly has been a ‘reward’ for doing their job. Let’s be fair people in civvie street just get a bonus (probably more useful).

The demise of the BEM by John Major has left a gap which was perfect for deserving cases; it was always considered to be the lads’ medal and a lot of good chiefs had one. I think that the standard has got a little higher with the MBE/QVRM (apparently they are considered the same level). Looking at the list this year there are 6 MBEs given to territorials – good on them, plus 4 x QVRMs which for once appear to be towards the junior end of the ranks. There has been quite a bit written on ARSSE that the QVRM is a bonus for the Ruperts in command, perhaps they are changing this a little for the better (or maybe all the colonels have got one already!) I am not sure what the territorials did for their MBEs – perhaps someone could enlighten me.

As for the fact that there is no deserving candidates in the RN/RMR – well I am not sure why this may be – perhaps this is one for the big boss since he probably is the person that either forwards them or blocks them – I’ve never seen him at my Unit but it surely must be one for a CO to ask him or anyone if they can handbag him.

However let’s celebrate the fact that the RNR did get an award this year:

Our very own Commodore got the CBE – I bet he’s chuffed to bits, a trip to the palace as Prince Big Ears or Betty congratulates him on his epic achievement for leading the Naval Reserve to great effect. As well as his £100k salary, great pension and Wednesday afternoons off he now has a gong. He can modestly say that it was nothing and that he will wear his medal on behalf of all of the reserves that helped him get it.

…..or maybe not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...31975/New-Year-Honours-List-2011-in-full.html

6. Now, this genuinely isn't a dig, it's an observation.

In all my years in the RN I have never met a member of the RNR with anything like a work ethic. Every Navy reservist I've met, to a man has been idle, dripped about everything, felt the need to bang on about being better because they have "two jobs" and have been a complete scranbag with a serious aversion to any form of physical fitness.

Perhaps that is why.

7. Purple_twiglet

MLP - the reasons simple - being a WAFU, you've probably only worked with the FAA branch who are all ex WAFUs. As such they merely carry on as if they were doing their old RN jobs, dripping and all :)

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be perfectly honest, in my experience, whenever an award or indeed promotion is announced there will always be someone that drips because they feel someone else was more deserving - usually themselves.

This also applies to awards for gallantry, I've lost count of people that should have been awarded but weren't and vice-versa. It particularly applies when an action merited the award of gallantry medals and the troops used to vote for their leader (in contravention of the VC Warrant, clause 13, where you can only vote for an equal ranked person), rather than the person actually carrying out the pivotal action. A good example being here:( http://www.victoriacross.co.uk/ballotsheet.jpg ) in the case of the Zeebrugge Raid in which two more VC's should have been awarded to OR Royal Marines, but weren't.

To this day it baffles me why the three Royal Marines involved in the Apache helicopter rescue mission
    ( http://webarchive.nationalarchives..../InPicturesDaringApacheRescueAttemptvideo.htm ) were never decorated, but all the Army guys involved got DFCs or MCs. Bloody outrageous ( http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2414747.ece )

9. The Times article with its quote from ArRSe serves as a good reminder that these fora are read by the press. For what its worth my view on this one is that the Corps hierarchy 'downgraded' their efforts because it was a failed operation it's the only logical explanation. If so it was and is one hell of a misjudgement...

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

My apologies for the thread drift, but awards are awards, be they for doing your job to an outstanding degree, through dedication and/or bravery.

Fully agree it was a terrible misjudgement - equally as importantly it is also highly insulting to the Army guys (who were rightly decorated) as it seemingly devalues their award.

11. Unfortuately you are correct he is a WAFU but he spent many years as a dabber before hand so your theory of only working with RNR FAA might not be true.

12. Purple_twiglet

Fook me - you mean that they let MLP into the FAA after he'd got into the mob - was the branch transfer manager stoned that day, or was he trying to get revenge on the FAA ;-)

13. Going by that did you have the same person allowing you in the RNR then PT? :D

14. MLP, you've fallen into the self-selection fallacy. By spending all your time draft-dodging and dripping, the only people willing to spend time in your company were draft-dodging drippers.

15. Yup, matelots!

16. Purple_twiglet

"Going by that did you have the same person allowing you in the RNR then PT?"

Nope - I was the special test case employed to see if it you really could get a trained monkey to do most RNR jobs - the jurys still out :p

17. And there you've proved Monty's point :lol:

18. Purple_twiglet

Yup, and with that I'm off to eat another banana, scratch my arse and continue emulating life in the modern FAA ;-)

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I hadn't seen that Times quote before, nice to see some members of RR mentioned..... 8)

20. Medals! we don't need no stinking Medals!

[​IMG]