Quote of the Week!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Jan 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Coast guard official Francesco Paolillo, a local coast guard official, told the AFP news agency there was a 30m hole in the ship but that it was too early to say what exactly had happened.
    "We think this happened as a result of sailing too close to an obstacle like a reef," he said.

2. I hear Francesco Paolillo is coing on Mastermind. Specialsit subject, "stating the bleedin' obvious"

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Could have been an iceberg, rock, submarine, act of God,mermaid, fucked of whale or a smally boat. Dont jump to conclusions. :)

4. All the clues were there.I think the humungous rock wedged in the hull was what gave it away for me.Of course the BOI may see it differently(not for the first time) the rock may have been on top of an iceberg supported by a nuclear boat.The skipper has time to come up with a credible excuse and I look forward to reading it.

5. Reported comment from the wheelhouse.........'It came off in me 'and chief' :slow:

6. Reported comment from the wheelhouse............ 'Not Me Chief'.......:laughing2:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wife said"That' s it no more cruises for me" plus the fact she won't fly again after two bad airline experiences leaves me with not a lot of choices, except Butlins! Happy campers here I come I reckon.

8. Question, why is she lying on her stbd side, when there is obvious damage to her port side? Is there a lot more damage to the stbd side that is presently submerged?

9. I think the old man turned the ship to to get it closer to the shore after the accident, must of slewed all the water to the starboard side as he was doing this - what a twat.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  10. It was a rock,a Big rock..

11. If that's the case I agree, but surely modern ships have automatic watertight doors that shut in this type of emergency, this should have prevented free flood from causing instability.

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

One would have thought so, News last night said She is a £400 million 6 year old ship, you would have thought that a modern build would have faired better than this after the grounding. Bad news for the company is that they have several other ships in service all built to the same design apparantly

13. Mrs S-B has been banging on about wanting to go on a Med cruise for ages. Me, I've seen enough horizons and dodgy Med ports etc to last a lifetime. We even to go Gib regularly, so she has seen the passenger herding and ripping off that goes on.

Now I am able to show her jwith this disaster just how dangerous these targets, sorry, cruise ships actually are!

She still wants to go though....... I've offered to drive her to the departure port........ :-D

14. I've heard that if the chefs had just done a proper Yankee Patrol this wouldn't have happened.

15. To pinch a quote from the Sun when HMS/M Opportune collided with a Panama cement freighter,"Sailors heard a loud bang, followed by swearing."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What is otherwise known, in nautical circles, as an FBR resulting in a shit creek, negative paddle, scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I wonder how long it will be before the UK Coalition Government gets the blame.

... Not that I'm suggesting it ISN'T their fault.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  18. It depends on if Cleggy put "there`ll definately, 100% guarenteed, be no ship groundings if you vote for me" in his manifesto.

19. It's very hard to avoid the cliche of the Italian tendency to run away in a crisis, especially when faced with the latest utterings of Captain Francesco Schettino explaining why he left the ship before everyone had been evacuated. (Linky Costa Concordia: captain ‘says he tripped and fell into life boat’ - Telegraph)
    Priceless!