Quote of the Week!

Coast guard official Francesco Paolillo, a local coast guard official, told the AFP news agency there was a 30m hole in the ship but that it was too early to say what exactly had happened.
"We think this happened as a result of sailing too close to an obstacle like a reef," he said.

All the clues were there.I think the humungous rock wedged in the hull was what gave it away for me.Of course the BOI may see it differently(not for the first time) the rock may have been on top of an iceberg supported by a nuclear boat.The skipper has time to come up with a credible excuse and I look forward to reading it.

Wife said"That' s it no more cruises for me" plus the fact she won't fly again after two bad airline experiences leaves me with not a lot of choices, except Butlins! Happy campers here I come I reckon.

Question, why is she lying on her stbd side, when there is obvious damage to her port side? Is there a lot more damage to the stbd side that is presently submerged?

karlos

Midshipman
Question, why is she lying on her stbd side, when there is obvious damage to her port side? Is there a lot more damage to the stbd side that is presently submerged?
I think the old man turned the ship to to get it closer to the shore after the accident, must of slewed all the water to the starboard side as he was doing this - what a twat.

Last edited:
I think the old man turned the ship to to get it closer to the shore after the accident, must of slewed all the water to the starboard side as he was doing this - what a twat.
If that's the case I agree, but surely modern ships have automatic watertight doors that shut in this type of emergency, this should have prevented free flood from causing instability.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
One would have thought so, News last night said She is a £400 million 6 year old ship, you would have thought that a modern build would have faired better than this after the grounding. Bad news for the company is that they have several other ships in service all built to the same design apparantly

Mrs S-B has been banging on about wanting to go on a Med cruise for ages. Me, I've seen enough horizons and dodgy Med ports etc to last a lifetime. We even to go Gib regularly, so she has seen the passenger herding and ripping off that goes on.

Now I am able to show her jwith this disaster just how dangerous these targets, sorry, cruise ships actually are!

She still wants to go though....... I've offered to drive her to the departure port........ :-D

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Coast guard official Francesco Paolillo, a local coast guard official, told the AFP news agency there was a 30m hole in the ship but that it was too early to say what exactly had happened.
"We think this happened as a result of sailing too close to an obstacle like a reef," he said.
What is otherwise known, in nautical circles, as an FBR resulting in a shit creek, negative paddle, scenario.

I wonder how long it will be before the UK Coalition Government gets the blame.

... Not that I'm suggesting it ISN'T their fault.

Last edited:
It's very hard to avoid the cliche of the Italian tendency to run away in a crisis, especially when faced with the latest utterings of Captain Francesco Schettino explaining why he left the ship before everyone had been evacuated. (Linky Costa Concordia: captain ‘says he tripped and fell into life boat’ - Telegraph)
During three hours of interrogation on Tuesday, he reportedly said: “The passengers were pouring onto the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault. I didn’t even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60 to 70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That’s how I found myself there.”
He said he got stuck in the life boat for an hour before it was lowered into the water off the coast of Giglio island.
Priceless!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sgtpepperband Diamond Lil's 12
G The Corps 25
Softlad Diamond Lil's 18