Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Pontius, Nov 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Churchill's words of wisdom regarding clearance divers/astronauts got me thinking about quotations. I couldn't really be arsed to use the Search function to see if it's been done before, so assuming it hasn't, I offer you this as a starter for 10 and look forward to reading the favoured quotations of Lil's populace:

Edited to add this for context and quoter to keep Bikerman happy (approx 2:25) :-D. To be honest, though, this is a classic quotation, with which all should be familiar and should not require explanation:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. Confused from Derby.

Sorry Pontius but that is a crap quote, doesn't mean much without context and to cap it all you didn't put the authors name...:confused3:

"He is useless on top of the ground; he ought to be under it, inspiring the cabbages. "
    Mark Twain
  3. Ah thats better, now if you had mentioned the watery bint I would of got it

4. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

'Bugger this for a game of soldiers!'

By virtually every squaddie, before, now and future.
  5. wal

wal Badgeman

"I see no ships only hard ships.

By virtually every Matelot before, now and future.

with acknowledgement to Ageing garacefully.
  6. There is a tide in the fortunes of men, while, taken at the flood, leads onto fortune, ommited all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and miseries.

What the fcuk it means I don't know probably something to do with marrying a munter who is skint.
    It was on the wooden beams in the Finneygook Inn yesterday, wrote it down while I was busy quaffing down a pint of good old Cornish Rattler
  7. Shit happens! (various)
  8. "Right then men, everybody to the port side and wave to the king"
    Captain of the Mary Rose 19th July 1545.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. You can write while drinking Rattler? 8-O

RESPECT! :applaud:
  10. [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Fix the problem, not the blame.

"Japanese Proverb"
  11. When you are up to your arse in alligators it is sometimes difficult to remember that the original objective was to drain the swamp.

12. Last broadcast from the space shuttle Challenger "Ok we'll let the woman drive"
  13. A James Cagney love scene is one where he lets the other guy live.

Bob Hope
  14. "Did you hear a bang"

Mayor of Nagasaki
  15. Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks!
  16. "We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police."

17. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A quotation is that act of borrowing certain words from A.N. Other-Mother because they are far, far better than any that the quoter could muster hisself - Whilst spouting a quotation without reference to it's rightful source is downright plagiarism."

Ermm, I think that gem was from Alfred E. Newman (or E. L. Whistie or even A.N. Other) wasn't it?...:wink:
  18. "Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?"

James May
  19. "You are such a good friend that if we were on a sinking ship together and there was only one life jacket... I'd miss you heaps and think of you often."

I. Dunno