Quick recruitment process for submariner branches.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by JWalker, May 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Going to Raleigh in June in my chosen submariner branch, and was thinking about how quick it was from initial RT to confirmation of Raleigh date. Really looking forward to the whole start of phase 1. I was wondering why the quick process was because there is a high turnover of submariner recruits leaving or is it because of the need for more recruits with upcoming astute class boats coming into surface in the future? I am certainly going to go for SSN class but I know at the end of the day it's the needs of the service. Fingers crossed.
  2. OMM

OMM War Hero

He is not asking how long it takes but rather the reasoning for it being so swift.
  3. It's quick because they are ******* desperate for submariners.

They are ******* desperate for submariners because it's an epically shit job.

Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Each to their own I suppose. Cheers for the replies.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It`s just a numbers game. There are more vacancies than applicants, it`s the same for Royal Marines.

The jobs don`t appeal to all due to the unique demands of the individual jobs. Hopefully you`re equally aware of the negative aspects as well as the positive aspects.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. they are desperate for submariners. so many are leaving at the mo, for various reasons. Most will become quickly apparent to you when you join a boat. They are that short they are even going to let ladies go to sea on V boats

7. And you know that because..........?
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Come on SB you should know by now that 2DD knows all about Boats he served on them for years, I am right about this aren't I?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jwalker, how long has it taken you from RT. Also what branch you going in for?
  10. Sat my RT December and go to Raleigh 16th this month.
    Going in as WS SSM

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  11. Thanks Rachel, that's a very interesting article that you've found. It doesn't look too good, but then this is the Telegraph's report on the situation.
  12. Yeah exactly, i know a few submariners and they enjoy it- ask them in a few years or when their personal circumstances change and it might be a very different answer but still. Not long to go now, are you feeling all prepared for raleigh? I cant wait to get my date'
  13. it doesnt help that the routines onboard are boarding on ridiculous these days. you can see why lads jack it in left right and centre
  14. are you a girl joining the SM service?
  15. Hahahaha no!

Even if women were allowed no chance, i respect those that chose to do it as it ain't for me.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  16. some women will be allowed soon. on V boats. the lucky few.
  17. Yeah soon, officers first apparently then a slow progression to direct entrants if i remember rightly. i love men (i really do) but i couldn't handle being stuck underwater with them for long periods of time. Let alone all the other challenges that come along with being a submariner :p
  18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

If the recruiting for Submariners is so bad, will this mean a return to the 1960's when loads were drafted in? If this is the case obviously females will be treated the same once they start to serve on Boats,
  19. If that is the case then one would have to carry out their duty and in that instance i wouldn't have any choice and would expect to be treated the same as those gifted with penises, but out of free will and choice- nein.