Quick Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sonny Red, Feb 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello guys,

I'm currently in the process of waiting to join the Royal Navy as a writer and was wondering if anybody had any idea of the waiting time for this particular branch? I tried to find it under many threads but didn't find any decent answers, any sort of help would be great.

2. Two years from when you pass your RT

3. Assuming you have a mobile phone or house phone, you could give your local AFCO a "quick call".

Its now 12.32 so they will be open.

Murph

4. The latest information we have is approx 24 months from sitting the RT to entry into Raleigh.

Hope this helps

SM

5. 12.32 on a Friday! Thats a shit draft and 32 minutes into weekenders!

6. Plus he's asking about the writers branch!!! Everybody knows they are shut in the afternoon to catch up on "ditting" I mean the backlog!!!!

7. I was expecting longer than 24 months so thats good, Thanks for the info.

8. I should of asked earlier,

When i look up writer there doesn't seem to be much about the job itself. I asked my afco when i chose it if i would be involved in the physical side aswell (I'd like that to be the case). Is there anybody who is a Writer or also joining as a writer who could shed some light on the job and duties of it please?

Thanks

9. See the post from JFH, the bit about "afternoon ditting" should sort it out. The most physical thing you will probably do is go to the tea boat while ditting on or throw your phone out of the window because it wont log onto Facebook while someone is waiting for you to sort out there JPA while ditting on.

10. Ha it can't be that bad surely mate, oh and what does ditting mean?

11. Ditting is Gossiping,

and yes it is that bad, safeguard.

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

The branch is in the title. Much to the disgust of the old school you'll be infront of a keyboard & screen with HB pencil grades and erasers whispered in silent tones as black magic. You'll be assumed to be a expert on JPA and you'll find quickly you become one. Everyone from day one will expect you to be able to fill in their claim form for that banana or big mac they bought a Keele services. You will also be privy to alot of info which you can't talk about, but narrow your eyes with a sly smile in the mess.

As for wanting to be physical, wait until once your in.

13. best of luck

14. That sounds ominous, though interesting!

15. I'm a WTR myself.

Mostly you have to deal with idiots asking bone questions. (I'm only kidding guys...)

You'll find that most of the work you do involves JPA. JPA is an absolute horror to work with, it's unreliable, on ship it's slow and it'll crash when you need it most.

However, it's not a bad job. Plenty of wets to be drunk, everyone will be friendly with you to get their warrant or expenses pushed through.

Any more questions just PM me.

Chats.