Quick Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by burnsy85, Nov 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. currently waiting for my joining date for ws, say i do my four years as a ws and after four years i want to apply for the RM would i have to give my 12 months notice in and then apply after that or could i apply for it while still in service?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Quick answer - depends.

Basically when you join you sign a contract (S3049) which says you are content with your chosen trade & understand you cannot transfer after joining.

If however the branch you are serving in has a manpower surplus, the branch you wish to transfer to has a manpower shortfall, then manning clearance can exceptionally be granted without a break in service. Be aware it's rare.

The advice is that you should not join in the expectation of being able to transfer & are strongly advised to join in your chosen trade.

3. i am fully comited on joinin as a ws it was just a thought thats been going through my head these past few days
    thanks for the answer

4. This is probably the first sensible post I have seen on here to have received a sensible answer.
    Congratulations.

5. agree

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

We do genuinely try to give correct answers to those that ask, honest.

Problem is that quite often the person asking the question gets deluged with irrelevant answers from those that appear astonished that someone doesn't know as much about the subject as they do themselves - quite forgetting that at one time they were probably clueless too & hindsight is not possessed by all.

Such is life - an unofficial forum is always full of experts.