Quick question, please help.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by matlo-lyle, May 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone I'm new to this site and a few days from applying to join the Royal Navy, Submarine Service.
    I have one thing playing on my head, I've had asthma as a child but have not encountered any symptoms or problems fore more than 5 years now. However, 2 years ago I visited by GP about a fairly persistent chest infection, he prescribed me an inhaler which I NEVER used. I know this is going to cause a few problems in my application process but I have also made an appointment with the Nurse to see if I have grown out of asthma as she gave me a peak flow meter chart a few months back to complete on the spirometer. I have blown above 550 every time and I, myself, am pretty certain I have grown out of asthma so when I see the Nurse again in a week and she sees the results and marks down on my records I have asthma no more, will this mean I will be able to join the Navy with no problem even though I was prescribed tht inhaler 2 years ago?

2. Speak to the AFCO.

And it's Matelot, not matlo.
  3. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I was hoping some one here could give me their best educated guess of what the doctor at the AFCO will say to me, as I have a date to see the AFCO and arrange an interview but would just like to put my mind to rest for now.
  4. Not being rude or anything but if you dont want to help then please.. **** off!
  5. Be quiet you wheezing little sprog, regardless of what anyone says on here it means not a fcuking jot, your medical will decide your fate. So man up.
  6. Chill Winston.

Righto as stix mentioned this probably isn't the best place to ask a medical question because we dont really know all of the circumstances and also because most people here aren't medically trained.

I can however help you by either steering you towards your AFCO where the question could be raised or by PM'ing angrydoc on this site who funnily enough is a R.N medic of some shape or form. I'm sure he might be able to shed some light on things.

P.S Although i'm sure this is stressing you out a bit its not a good idea to get serving members of the RM/RN's backs up on here otherwise you wont get any help whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

7. Okay cheers mate, I'll do that. I'll be careful of what to ask from now on too maybe..
  8. I see you deleted that last thread mate. Wise move. :wink:

So Monty those phots of you in ghanners with your Diemaco and non-issue sandals wasn't you then?? Gutted and i thought we were going to have gay love but i've been fooled by you and your paedo ways.

My life is over :D
  9. When I spoke to the AFCO about something medical that I thought might hinder / slow down my application I was told to ask my GP to write a letter to the Navy medical examiner explaining the ailment and stating that if it was in the past, then it was just that, in the past, also any medical notes relating to these instances would be a help too. You just need to speak to the manager at your doctor's surgery and they will supply you with what you need, usually at a small charge. Just any info you can get relating to your problem prior to the medical examination will help.. That is what I was told anyway.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck.

10. Hi Jamie,

Firstly, what has been said to you is correct. No one on here can give you a definite answer. You will need to visit an AFCO, put in an application and then during the selection you will see an AFCO medical examiner. During this medical you will be asked a series of questions and have a full medical. if you have any supporting evidence from your GP/nurse then take it with you to this medical.

I have had people get in with similar stories to you, but it's always on a case to case basis.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me. I work in an AFCO and should be capable of answering you questions.

Welcome to the sense of humour/friendly banter of the navy. If you are finding this stuff hard then you will need to lighten up before joining the RN/RM's.

Hope this helps

11. I had asthma as a kid, didn't have any probs signing up.
  12. Looks like I've been outed mate! Must have been a photoshop job, we're both walts together! :lol:
  13. Cheers for the help everyone, I'll keep you posted on how I do.