Quick one for any writers UPO mob.

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by Ben_C, Dec 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Moving out/Looking to move out with my G/f in the new year. Heard a lot of lads talking about money the Navy give you towards mileage etc.

    Now as I'll be renting/living (at weekends anyway) 175 miles away back in Essex, how does that apply to me, if at all? Obviously everyone is on leave now until the new year but we're viewing properties and would like some peace of mind as to whether the pusser does anything at all to help.

    Based at Yeovilton if that means anything.

    Cheers :D
  2. You expect an answer in the afternoon (Friday as well).

    The afternoon is when they are closed for operation catch-up (dits that is, not work)
  3. I honestly haven't got a clue what any of that means.. It's not service family accom? I just decided that I fancied moving out and wondered if the pusser would pick up my tab for mileage.. I'm guessing not lol.
  4. If you will be renting/owning a property you'll be entitled to GYH from your place of work to your property. Your UPO will require paperwork for the property, ie rental agreement, coucil tax bill etc. Prior to coming out here I was at RAF Digby living in Watford, about 120 miles each way and got abuot 150 squiddlies a month. Hope that helps.
  5. I believe the rules may be getting tighter on benefits of this sort if any still remain. I think the way to look at it is "Why should the tax payer contribute towards your mileage allowance because you've decided to live somewhere miles from your place of work?".
  6. Yeah, the answer to that question is. Why should I move my girlfriends life to suit mine when I can quite happily commute every weekend and she cannot!

    Seems like I will get the allowance, anyone know how it works? Whether you do it manually every month/week or it's assumed through JPA?

    Cheers, Oh and Merry Christmas.
  7. So your more than happy to have the mob pay your travel so it will suit your girlfriends life. Ask her if her company (assuming she works) would be happy to pay for her travel to suit you, I'd be interested to see what the answer is.
  8. Just beat me to it Wrecker.

    Anyhow, she could always get a new job - they have hairdressers in Somerset as well.
  9. I don't understand why you think the MOD have some sort of responsibilty for where your girlfriend chooses to live and work. Do you know something everyone else doesn't?
  10. If you are renting/buying a property more than fifty miles away and you're not travelling daily then you are entitled to Get You Home (Travel).

    You need four proofs of residence.

    1) Council Tax Bill
    2) Rental Agreement
    3&4) Two kinds of bill. (Not Mobile Phone)

    All of these must have your name on it and brought to the UPO. They will backdate it to the date you moved in.

    It's paid automatically at the end of every month. However, depending on the date you bring the proof in, you may not get anything until the end of the second month.
  11. I am not sure what version JSP 752 is up to at the moment, but don't think GYH rules have changed much in the last year or so (who knows about next year though??).

    A google gave me this courtesy of our light blue bretheren:

    JSP 752

    All you need to know in there.
  12. Oh well. Personally I would never go near a UPO unless I had already read 752. Normally take a print out of the relevant articles / chapter too as it saves being fobbed off.

  13. Thats what I used to recieve up till August 08,when I left the mob,and that came in at about £270 a month IIRC,and that was for 280 miles. I believe its capped at 250 miles.
  14. Cheers!
  15. It's capped at 530 miles oppo ;)

Share This Page