Questions And Asking

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by alhucoll, May 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Golden Rule is:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION, THE ONLY STUPID ONE, IS THE ONE THAT IS NOT ASKED

If you remember that, you'll get on well.
    Some people may reply with ridicule and scorn - ignore them as the dumb, ignorant dinosaurs they are. The dinosaurs are a dying breed (thank God) and obviously have feelings of inadequacy.
    The people who answer your questions with sensible advice should be listened to, as most of them have been through the system with success.

A big part of Basic Training is listening and taking in the advice of your instructors - they are NOT there to pick on you, but to build you into a team player (remember they went through Basic as well). Teamwork is one of the most important things on a ship - everyone has a part to play in the jigsaw of ship board life, take away a piece and there is a good chance it will fail.
    I can virtually guarentee that you will not be good at everything and will need some help, the guy/gal next to you will be good at the things you're not but you will be good at the things he/she is not - solution, teamwork - help each other out. Your class will only be as good as the weakest in the team - it is up to yourself to help them, this will be noticed by your instructors but possibly not commented on.
    Always give 100% and try and improve all the time.

Some of the best things you can do in preparation are:
    Improve your fitness level.
    Learn to swim if you can't already.
    Learn to iron.
    Learn how to polish shoes/boots.
    Keep your temper.
    Improve your sense of humour.

Most of all good luck in your chosen career - I loved my time in the RN and I owe my success in the "Afterlife" to the RN.

Al

Hopefully, more useful suggestions and advice will follow this from other people.

2. Sound advice which say it all...

3. OMG the decent and sensible ones do actually exist?

Top post! :D