Questions: After Training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MBeehan, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Will I have the choice of which Ship or Type to serve on?

As a Sea Spec would I be able to be posted to Operations out in Afghanistan?

If so will I be attached to a Army Unit or Royal Marines Unit or fellow Naval Personnel?

I'd really like to have the opportunity to do a Tour in Afghanistan. My Cousin is in the Royal Marines and has been out there.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

3. Thanks Pepper!

that was quick

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Statistically, around 1,000 RN personnel (besides Royal Marines) served in Afghanistan last year - out of 36,000.

http://www.dasa.mod.uk/applications...date=2010-03-05&type=pdf&PublishTime=09:30:00

The odds of serving in land-locked Afghanistan are related to the job title.

If you want to serve in Afghanistan, join the Royal Marines or Army as the odds are more in your favour.

Generally, although not always the case, the Royal Navy tend to serve at sea.

5. OK Ninja. Well I'm waiting for my Date to Join as a Sea Spec.

I was just wondering what the opportunities were like to go out there.

Army or Royal Marines eh? I'm going to do my damned hardest to Join and then I'll see about them too :p

6. So which are you trying to join??

Confused of NATO

7. I'm Joining the Navy as a Sea Spec

8. Bloody lost me.

9. Guzzler - I believe you were last seen in the Torpoint Ferry area, if that helps.

10. Thanks - it happens a lot these days :drunken:

11. Sorry Guzz

12. So you want to do the All Arms Course, transfer to the RN Police, serve in Afghan and you are joining as a Seaman Spec.

Nothing like a bit of focus eh!?

13. would a ws have a chance of serving out there in afganistan?

14. Not unless he was a red :lol: :lol:

15. Jeez reverend, PERSEC n all that! :roll: :roll:

16. haha be useless him then 8)

17. Lolz :|

18. SO basically I'm joining as a Sea Spec. I may want to join the RN Police, I deffo want to the AACC sometime in my career to be a Commando like my Cuz.

And all I wanted to know was the likely hood of me being a Sea Spec going out to Afghan.

19. Why dont you just join as a RM Commando if that's what you really want to do, from what ive read there is no gurantee that you can do the AACC. Its only if your job requires you to do it.

Seems strange to me that if you really want to be a RM, why you dont just join straight up as one then? 8O