Questions about the medical.

Discussion in 'Joining the Royal Navy' started by Jake199878, May 18, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I've passed my RT and had my eye test done and so I've just booked my medical for the navy and I was just curious as to what this entails? Anyone able to give any insight into their experiences and what they'll be checking for? Also, I heard they take a urine sample and I wanted to know if that's for a drugs test or something else? Thanks for any help.
  2. Why have you got something to hide ;)

Test for the Royal Navy or just the navy?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

4. That's a great help thanks, only other question I have is what the urine test it for? Is it a drugs test or like a health things? Not that it really matters, just curious :).
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

All recruits undergo a compulsory random drugs test. Only it isn't random, it occurs during initial Naval training and everyone gets tested. The only random bit is why they use the word random. A positive result leads to discharge and a permanent bar to enter any service.

Interestingly I got a call last week off a squaddie: "I was discharged from the Army after a positive CDT. They told me I could join the Navy"

The conclusion? He was still tripping.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. So any idea what the urine sample is for if it isn't a drugs test? o_O
  7. Jake, one of the reasons for checking urine is to check for excess sugar. I am in no way medically trained but I am diabetic and undergo urine tests regularly. There are probably other reasons of which I know nothing.
  8. Oh right, thanks.
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Jake if you tell us your drugs of choice, there are some on here that can advise you how long they stay in the system.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. The urine test is a dipstick test which will detect sugar, protein and blood in the sample - not drugs. Sugar indicates diabetes, blood possible kidney / bladder issues and protein could indicate kidney issues.
    You are advised to abstain from vigourous phys and sexual activity for 24-48 hrs before the medical to allow for the system to get flushed through.