Questions about the HND route to Officer Training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BritishSte, Oct 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am hoping to join as a Deck Officer, however I am short of 60 UCAS points.

So it looks like I'm going to have to go down the HND route, however, I'm not entirely sure what this involves:

- How long does it take from initial acceptance on the course, to being ready to start working?
    - Do you get paid as you train/study down this route?

Many thanks
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

We've been here Stephen and you were given advice, a link to an unofficial RFA website, a link to the official RFA website .

You are short of a Certificate of Competency too.

The RFA official website will answer your questions including a term by term breakdown of the HND based cadetship. You have the link. When you would start has also been answered. If you make it to the AIB, you won't get a crib sheet, start practising now. You've been told where to look, now look there is a good chap.
  3. I'm aware of all this, but the main question was

"Do you get paid as you train/study down this route?"

The resources cited do not provide this information. Is there a problem with asking a question to people who probably have experience in this rather than an impersonal PDF file which doesn't go into full depth? Or is it just a case of letting your argumentitive broody side out? It's not even RFA specific, all Officers go through the same process and have the same requirements.

I can't facilitate paying for a HND myself, nor does my financial position allow me to be unemployed in Full Time education.

Bloody hell, everyone here seems to have a chip on their shoulder.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Moving off piste. You have a PM Stephen.
  5. Steve

I have a contact number for you which you can use to ask about anything you're not sure of when it comes to joining the RFA.

If you call:

02392 725923

you will be able to speak in person to someone who can clarify everything for you.
  6. You're welcome.

Give them a call and let us know how you get on.