Questions about Joining (Weight & Grades)

Hi, Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I have searched through your forums but couldn't find an answer specific to my case. I am looking at applying to join the Royal Navy which is something I've been wanting to do for as long as I can remember, I was planning on going down to the AFCO tomorrow to register my interest and to get the ball rolling...

Question 1:
I am currently overweight, but have been working really hard on losing weight and increasing my fitness all year. In January 2016 I weighed in at 24.5 stone and to date I currently weigh 17stone - i'm 6ft2. I can complete the pre-joining physical tests easy at this stage and I fall below the maximum 32bmi requirement.

My question is, even though i'm still not at optimal weight would it still be worth me starting my application now as I will have lost even more weight whilst I'm on the waiting list? Will I even be allowed to apply or will just be laughed out of the AFCO?

Question 2:
I have a 2.1 level degree but failed to get a C in Maths at GCSE. I'm not interested in joining as an officer but my question is would my degree over-rule the requirement for a C in maths at GCSE for other roles such as the RN Police or the engineering roles?

Thanks for taking the time to read through my questions - sorry if it's a bit wordy...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Good effort on the weight loss. Max BMI is 28, not 32. Your waist across your belly must be under 94 cms before an application can be progressed, by the book. It may well be that your AFCO permit an application to start so that you are further motivated to reach your target weight, but at this point you cannot yet proceed beyond the medical. Don't take that as a knock-back, take it as a motivational incentive.

A relevant degree with relevant academic content may, on occasion, be accepted in lieu of a lesser academic entry requirement but it's certainly not one to rely upon as a method of entry as it is not a given.

Thanks for the reply and for the info!

I think I will hold back then until I at least get a little bit closer towards having a BMI of 28 (as I estimate it will take at least another 3 months).

Stephielou92

Midshipman
Thank you so much for posting this! I was worrying about the whole weight issue.

I've lost 8 stone so far but my bmi is 29.5 so it's good to know that not much further to go!

I hope you get to your goal weight!x