Questions about ironing kit at Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by paracord, Oct 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As title suggests, i am enquiring about ironing your kit in Raleigh.
    I have had to iron in Army basic before, is it the same, do you crease the legs front, collars, sides of the sleeves etcetera?
    What is this about a crease across the back?

Thanks.

P.S. Is starch advised or not, cheers.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you put yourself on a Royal Navy Acquaint Course, all will be made clear.

Starch is not permitted & the crease across the back of a shirt serves no useful purpose (no, it's not to stop your shirt sticking to your back) other than letting everyone know the wearer is probably anally retentive. :dwarf:

3. Starch will make your white fronts go yellow!

4. I'd go on a course but going to Raleigh 7 days today lol.
    As for starch, cool, i didn't expect it to be allowed but thought i mayaswell ask.

Cheers.

5. Ninja_Stoker

If you completed Army training, you probably have an advantage over the majority of your contemporaries with regard ironing anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much. You will be instructed anyway.

The very best of luck to you & well done selecting the Senior service this time around!

6. Heh heh, no problem, I eventually walked to the right desk.
    Lol :p

Yeah i did phase one, and decided that i had chosen the wrong service.

8. Eh?
    Since when ?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Starch is not in vogue at Raleigh this week. It maybe next week & might have been "in" last month. It is probably driven by individual instructors viewpoints, rather than anything else.

It's certainly not on the kit list but available (probably) in the Spar shop. The question is "Do you feel lucky?"

10. I think i'll leave the starch as it would be pretty hard a yarn you'd have to spin to explain why your whites were yellow ;p lol

11. Eh?
    Starch does not make whites go yellow.
    Jeez :roll:

12. It was stated on this topic that it does? :S only going off what i have been told...

13. Paracord, I've been starching my cuffs and collars for decades and I can assure you it doesn't go yellow, unless of course you leave the iron on the item being ironed whilst you go for a splash, or you use an iron that's too hot, in which case your white fronts will resemble over cooked toast and you'll get a clip across the ear!

The only time starch has gone yellow is when I have used an overheated iron (yes it has happened to me) with my winged collars. Always use it freshly made: spoonful of starch into warm water & stir, then paint or spray on. If you're using it on winged collars, for example (the detatchable variety) it's best to paint it on, but only officers (used) to wear those, I think? I used to wear them at work :oops:

14. You cn buy Spray Starch from the NAAFI shop. Our instructrs reccomended that we did!

And I've never known of it turning whites yellow? Having said that I was crap at KM.

15. Spray starch???

Must try that! The yellow may have been the cotton, but I had to throw the collars away as they were ruined.

16. Shitty death(See RM Dictionary (Pictionary!??) for definition), starch in a spray can has been available since my DI served with Nelson (Well late 70's anyhoo).
    Steve do you have to dress up like Black Rod or summat, wing collars indeed, you'll be wearing a bow tie next (Not one with the elastic band attached I hope!!).
    NZB

17. that will be cos you pissed yourself :bball:

18. For all you Newbies!!

Take your mums For the ironing---and Dad for the Drinking.

Worked for me.

19. Starch solution can go yellow if you overheat it when you iron, or leave the shirt unused, hence unwashed, for any length of time.

Spray starch on the other hand doesn't cause any discolouration. I've used it on my shirts since I was a trainee, and continue to do so now that I've left the service.

20. Ironing? That's no.1's job.