Questions about eligibility!

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by RyanGaslamp, Jan 12, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I hope I am posting this question in the right section, this is my first post here!

I am British citizen who has lived in the UK my whole life but moved to the States 2 years ago. I am now moving back home again and would like to join the reserves. I have been told different things about my eligibility, and was looking some conclusive answers. Do I have to have lived in the UK for a set amount of time again before I can apply?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Have you phoned your local RNR unit, and asked them, or popped into your AFCO. It is thier job to give you info, so don't worry about asking them, and at least you will get an official answer, rather than an answer from someone who thinks they know what is correct.

Which is your closest unit?

Good luck
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you hold a valid Brit passport you're eligible with regard nationality but in order to gain security clearance (SC) your AFCO needs to gain a residency waiver. In order to speed SC you need to produce an accurate list of postal addresses covering the last 5 years and if you can produce a US Police-check print-out demonstrating you are free from convictions in the US, so much the better.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hey thanks guys! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I spoke to someone on the live chat on the Royal Navy website and they confirmed everything you just said Ninja.

I'm relieved as I really didn't want to wait years to join. I am a volunteer firefighter here in the States so hopefully this will improve my application. I really want to be a Navy Airman!
  5. Not in the RNR you wont -that is unless you have previously been a naval airman etc, etc.