Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Morning

My situation is this, I have completed two years of university study and have resently volunterily withdrew from my studies.

Would this be a complete bar to joining the naval service?

and just to note im not using the navy as a 'drop out' option, I have always intended to join ( I attended an AIB in jan 2007, failed, but was invited to try again after 12 months or later )

Thank You
    BTBY

2. PM Thingy,he is our resident expert on these matters

3. I don't see why it would, as long as you can come up with a decent justification for it. You don't need a degree to be an officer, and if you got into university in the first place then I dare say you meet the academic requirements.

I managed to get a good pass on my AIB having left university, doing the same course, after 5 years with nothing but a diploma in higher education!

4. Wait for an answer from either Ninja Stoker or Supermario.

5. I am sure NS or SM will be along at some point who can give you the advice you seek

6. As long as you still meet the educational requirements for your chosen branch then you only have to worry about explaining why you dropped out after 2 years.

7. Two years at uni and you still can't spell !!!

8. thats what the wee 13 yr old daddy should have done

9. Physical Sciences student, sorry.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spot-on.

Bear in mind we are looking for evidence of "stickability", so providing you can provide examples of other achievements which involved longer-term commitment, then there is little to worry about.

There is of course the fact that by not completing your final year, you have effectively lost 2.5 years potential seniority & a reduced your starting income of £28,216 by almost half, but that's your prerogative.

11. Oh that's a point, what happens if you don't have a degree these days but are over 21? I've spoken to a couple of officers who commissioned a year ago but didn't have degrees but were over 21 so they started as a Sub-Lt with a year's seniority anyway. Is that still the case?

12. I understand the point about graduate pay, but other than losing seniority, is it a permanent set back?

i.e. does a Lieutenant who is a gradute earn more than a non graduate Lieutenant?

Cheers for all the advice
    BTBY

13. Ninja_Stoker

In simplistic terms if a pair of twins joined as Officers on the same day, one with a degree, one without, the graduate earns the higher rate of pay from the outset & becomes eligible for promotion 2.5 years ahead of her non-grad twin.

At every pay increment rise the graduate remains ahead on income throughout her career, BUT the fact she maybe eligible for promotion sooner doesn't mean she will be recommended or promoted sooner because that is performance related, rather than academic related.

When they reach Lieutenant if promted on the same day, the graduate will be receiving more pay, yes.

Edited for duff spelling.

14. Would I be correct in saying that if there were a pair of twins, and one joined today, whilst the other went to University to do a non-engineering degree then joined, assuming no promotions above lt, the twin who joined up straight away would then be earning more in 4 years time?

There's a puzzle for you over lunch! :p

By my calculations the twin who joined first would have 6 months seniority on his/her sibling, but I don't really know anything about how RN pay scales work.

15. Ninja_Stoker

The non-grad would earn, at today's rates, over £61, 802 whilst his twin was at uni (if doing a 3 year degree).

The Grad would then start on £28, 216 (with about £15000 debt, on average).

The graduate would still start on a higher annual wage than the non-grad, assuming the non-grad was not promoted in the 3 years. With only 6 months difference in seniority, the graduate would most probably remain ahead on wages, if not promotion also.

16. Do you mean that the graduate joins 6 months later or 3 years later?

Also, I don't think the degree has much to do with pay once you're in. If it did, it'd be referred to as "engineering graduate" or "graduate" :?
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/MoD_Rates_Leaflet.pdf

17. In some of the engineering leaflets I have scattered around the house there is the phrase, "promotion to lieutenant is automatic upon successfully completing training". I had assumed this was a perk of being an engineer, rather than for all officers, but obviously that is not a proper conclusion to draw from that statement.

As for the time - yes I meant that the second twin would complete a degree (assuming 3 years for England), therefore would join exactly 3 years after the first twin (obviously with many assumptions, same trade, waiting time, medical etc etc).

18. But does the graduate/non-graduate stigma still apply if over 21? Or is that something else that's being changed with this intake?

19. Ninja_Stoker

If you mean the "stigma" of being paid more or less, a non-graduate gets paid less than a graduate & age is not relevant because you cannot "catch-up" if you start on the same day.

If you mean the "stigma" of graduates being posher than non-graduates: Not at all, there's some equally posh non-grads. :D

20. I know about your second point, I am one! ;) It's just an officer I was speaking to in the Edinburgh AFCO commissioned a year ago with no degree but was over 21 when he joined so he started as a Sub-Lt with 1 year's seniority and got Lt a month ago...

So would that still be the case, but a Sub-Lt with one year's seniority but no degree gets less pay than a graduate? And what happens if you get an in-service degree, like the BSc (Hons) in Military Aviation Studies?