Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by _Tim_, Jan 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My dog chewed up the application supplement form (or whatever it's called :roll: ). The one that asks why you want to join etc.

Are the AFCO allowed to give me another one, or should I try and salvage the one I have?

:oops:

2. Phone them up and ask them to send you one out, should be fine.

3. Dog or form?

4. Both, if I had my way. I hate that bloody dog.

5. Take your dog on a one way trip to Nigeria. They EAT dogs in the same way we eat chickens. Very tasty I'm told, by one of my Nigerian colleagues in the know! :twisted:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Is this the same dog that ate your homework?

The AFCO indeed have the First Sea Lord's gracious permission to issue a replacement form - just nip in & ask for another.

Be different, tell them your gerbil ate it.

7. The dog likes to chew paperwork and letters, ninja.

Pop in? It's a trek and a half for me to get there. Are they allowed to send it by post?

8. Why don't you ask them to pay for a return Taxi, then you can do some shopping or go on the lash at Pussers expense.
    Sounds reasonable to me, a bit like someone who knows their dog has a propensity to chew paper making sure that forms that are important for their future career are put out of reach of the pooches fangs. :roll:

9. Bit harsh NZ, you might put him off joining.

Hang on though...

10. Better yet, get Prince William to pick you up in a Chinook

11. Didn't you do this before? The taxi bit, that is. Not so funny the 2nd time around.

1) I can send a SAE, I have no problem with that. It's cheaper than a ******* £18 return + fuel in my mum's car and/or £21 for a taxi.

2) It was on the kitchen counter. I didn't know Staffies could jump that high until today.

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Tim might have a point, do recruiting offices of today offer a service where bone fcukers can download new forms everytime they mess one up?

13. Apparently not.

14. i wish 8O

15. Ninja_Stoker

Alas no. The assumption being that computers maybe a "bit difficult" too.
    That said, it would be blummin' marvelous if applicants could fill-in an online form which we could simply upload.

At present we have to try and understand various blunt-pencilled, coffee-cup stained, gouged, chewed & torn submissions & then manually input the decipherable bits. It takes yonks & inevitably some precocious individual, upon sighting his invitation to sit the recruiting test will ring-up & squawk: "That's not how you spell Woopert, thilly"

Ten years ago the Army put their (British Army Recruiting Battery) test on computer. Today the RN/RM still use a test devised in 1943, written on paper, manually mark 120 answers, manually check 120 answers (whilst keeping the applicant waiting) tell them the result, then manually input the data.

The Army applicant gets the result immediately upon completing the test together with a list of jobs available- the data is automatically inputted onto the candidates record.

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

How long would it take to upload in pdf format some forms that are then downloadable?

I'm no computer genius...bit of a biff really, but, cant be that difficult surely. Forms are available for DVLA, immigration etc, just steal there way of doing it.

17. It wouldn't be too hard to upload a standard set of forms, the only problem is if each one is indiviually numbered or with a barcode. To get round this the applicant could put a unique reference number on there some where.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Whilst it's certainly do-able to put application forms online using random number generators, the immediate answer would be: "Oooh, Mister D'arcy, the cost!"

Truth is that it takes around 20-30 minutes to manually input the data per candidate. On top of that, only around 1 in 6 of those that submit an application form actually join, so it's easy to see where the savings would arise.