Discussion in 'RFA' started by spencergilroy, Mar 23, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I have recently received a conditional offer from RFA as apprentice chef, due to start July 3rd at Raleigh subject to SC which I've filled in online and medical ENG1 and get my jabs.

My question refers to the latter, what costs are involved if I require a full panel of vaccinations? I know I can put in a chit afterwards and claim it back, I just wondered how much I will need upfront. Also, would it be wise to wait till after I complete my ENG1 before I book them? Not sure on the lead time with booking things up if there is a waiting list etc.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
  2. The vaccinations are around £20-30, if I remember correctly from when I last got mine.
    You get get your vaccination done at the same time as your ENG 1, that's what I did when I got mine done
  3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just get them booked. Some injections need to be done on different days from others and you may require additional injections sometime around 4 weeks later.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. If you're lucky, the doctor will be able to invoice the RFA directly, removing the need for you to part with any cash. I use Clyde Marine Medical for this reason, despite having to travel.

If not, here's how much Boots charge for vaccinations as a rough guide.
  5. I never knew that spooner, what's the procedure for that? Just tell them you work for the RFA and show them your RFA ID card?
  6. Thanks for your comments. Wish everyone on here was as helpful. Usually you just get the piss taken by disgruntled ex matelots!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
  7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

We can take the piss if required.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I would imagine that it varies from place to place, but I didn't even need to show an ID card....
  9. Fair enough mate, it's Clyde Marine medicals I use, but not long started with the RFA, so not sure what the procedure for getting them charge the RFA directly