Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question youve been asked 1million times! PJFT

BFC_69

MIA
RadioSilence said:
BFC_69 said:
RadioSilence said:
BFC_69 said:
RadioSilence said:
I'm female, and I always was pretty rubbish at running. But, I want this career, so I worked my a$$ off. Still do, to keep my fitness levels up.

My advice is to get out on the roads on the days that you don't go to the gym, and as Ninja said, use other sports to increase your general fitness as well. If you can't run 1.5 miles now, then run as much as you can, walk for a bit, and then run again. Plus, try to aim to do a longer distance overall, as even walking fast will help.

Seriously, work and you will get it. I sprained my ankle three days before mine, and still managed to pass.

I used to be female and did my run in 10:07 the other day. That was pushing myself hard.

I digress... apologies

So you're saying the op is definately worth it then? Or would it have the same effect if I just took all the steriods you're on? :D:D :lol: :wink:

I'd recommend it to anyone? I mean who doesnt wanna piss standing up???

Always an added benefit, I'm sure! :D :lol:

Of course! The world is my toilet!

What you going in as?

RadioSilence

Lantern Swinger
BFC_69 said:
RadioSilence said:
BFC_69 said:
RadioSilence said:
BFC_69 said:
RadioSilence said:
I'm female, and I always was pretty rubbish at running. But, I want this career, so I worked my a$$ off. Still do, to keep my fitness levels up.

My advice is to get out on the roads on the days that you don't go to the gym, and as Ninja said, use other sports to increase your general fitness as well. If you can't run 1.5 miles now, then run as much as you can, walk for a bit, and then run again. Plus, try to aim to do a longer distance overall, as even walking fast will help.

Seriously, work and you will get it. I sprained my ankle three days before mine, and still managed to pass.

I used to be female and did my run in 10:07 the other day. That was pushing myself hard.

I digress... apologies

So you're saying the op is definately worth it then? Or would it have the same effect if I just took all the steriods you're on? :D:D :lol: :wink:

What you going in as?

I've applied as a Warfare Officer. Heading to AIB on 9th March, then if I pass I'm hoping like anything that I'll get a place in BRNC in April. What about you?

BFC_69

MIA
RadioSilence said:
BFC_69 said:
RadioSilence said:
BFC_69 said:
RadioSilence said:
BFC_69 said:
RadioSilence said:

I digress... apologies

What you going in as?

I've applied as a Warfare Officer. Heading to AIB on 9th March, then if I pass I'm hoping like anything that I'll get a place in BRNC in April. What about you?

AET... PJFT Weds night. Hoping I get in before Im elegible for my bus pass!

sam_helps

Midshipman
sorry to say this all but i'm going to Raleigh in a few a weeks and i pass my PJFT first time and i have non stopped training since i passed, as i'm trying to prepare for the worst as i wont to be in the RN more than anything else.

tommo

War Hero
Pound the miles out. 17 weeks ago I couldn't have passed the pjft. Now not only am I able to run the london marathon I took the pjft and creamed it with ease with plenty left in the tank (I wanted to be able to have an improvement time lol). There is no excuse to not being able to fit some exercise in. Even if it means getting up earlier than normal or going out straight after work.

It is possible and I was someone who hated running and couldn't run. Now I'm an addict

thereverend

War Hero
I'd like to point out as well that stopping smoking knackers up your fitness levels too. I'd quit when I was up in Scotland for my RNAC and did my mile and half in 12 minutes. My PJFT at the gym was 10.37. Daft or what eh. I have since started smoking again and my time is now nearer the 10 minute mark. My advice? Don't be a quitter :p I've smoked since I was 11, yum yum

tommo

War Hero
Unfortunately your theory doesn't work with me. Gave up smoking August 3rd not smoked since and my fitness and performance has only every increased!

Sorry

SirRunsAlot

Badgeman
drakdi said:
Be warned. If you turn up at Raleigh and fail your PJFT on the Tuesday of week one you may be in the precarious position of being returned home by the end of the first week. "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"

I thought recruits who failed the test on week 1 were given remedial fitness lessons? Or are they booted out?

Oomallac

Badgeman
Anusil said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
Anusil said:
Not being funny but seriously pull your finger out. The day i had my PJFT i had a sprained knee, was 15 1/2 stone and smoked 20 a day and still done the 1.5miles in 11mins 32secs. You know you can do it. Its 12mins of your life. If it hurts man up and push on!

Apparently it's frowned-upon if you use the ashtray on the treadmill, but what you say is pretty much the curt version of the general consensus - ie: if you want the job, you'll put the effort in.

There's plenty willing to take your place if you cannot pass the PJFT.
As soon as i got off that treadmill, i knew i had to push myself to even have a hope in hell at Raleigh. I've lost 4 stone, cut back on the smoking, run 4/5 times a week. Just put the effort in, lay off the booze. Pound the pavement until your hanging out of your arse and then run some more for good measure.
There is no easy fix to help you pass. You've got to push yourself.
So there's your advice chuck!

WOW at the tender age of 54 years, I still drink and still smoke though not to any great excess and I still (attempt to) play 11 a side football. Since leaving RN in 1990, I'd never timed my running but after reading this earlier I did just that, appprox 1.75 miles in 17 mins!

NotmeChief

Banned
tommo said:
Unfortunately your theory doesn't work with me. Gave up smoking August 3rd not smoked since and my fitness and performance has only every increased!

Sorry

So how many kids you got then?

tommo

War Hero
NotmeChief said:
tommo said:

Sorry

So how many kids you got then?

Do I need kids to smoke or not smoke? :lol:

bryan

Lantern Swinger
thanks for all you replies guys n gals :)
really appriciate it, went to the gym today after reading a few posts
after reading the rest went for another run out on the roads :)
thankyou :)

Trigger_92

War Hero
Honestly, just beast yourself.
And as previously stated, if you want to get into the RN so much, you'll put the effort in :)

bryan

Lantern Swinger
Trigger_92 said:
Honestly, just beast yourself.
And as previously stated, if you want to get into the RN so much, you'll put the effort in :)

thanks, think i just needed a talking to :)

drakdi

Badgeman
SirRunsAlot said:
drakdi said:
Be warned. If you turn up at Raleigh and fail your PJFT on the Tuesday of week one you may be in the precarious position of being returned home by the end of the first week. "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"

I thought recruits who failed the test on week 1 were given remedial fitness lessons? Or are they booted out?

New skipper = new regime. If you really want a career in the RN then you should be fully prepared for it both physically and mentally, its no use turning up thinking you can improve your times with remedial training. You should be able to nail the PJFT at the first attempt and then improve your times with the physical training you recieve during the course.

Patrick

Lantern Swinger
Just think back to when you were a kid and in an egg & spoon race picture yourself running towards the finishing line.. :)

Rem3pt

MIA
Hi folks its nice to see some motivation! Sorry to hijack someone elses thread.

My running is fine, pjft will hopefully be done injury free in around 9:30 for me. When i actually get to do it is unkown, in the next month im sure.

My burning question is, i had a cycling accident which busted my shoulder and was out of action for at least a year. When do we have to show off our pressups and situps? I can reach the minimum standard in both, but i fear it may be sometime before im able to beat the standards comfortably. Id like to achieve 45 to 50 nicely but at the moment im having a hard time reaching 30. Will this matter so much? Am i in with a good chance of keeping my head above the water fitness wise at raleigh?

Thanks

JonnoJonno

Banned
You have two minutes to smash out your push-ups and sit-ups, and can take a rest during your time. If you are struggling try 25 p-ups, stop and shake out your arms, and knock another 25 out. Easy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Psychometric test simple question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D Medals Question Blogs 4
A Question for the Naval Engineers Submariners 2
D Sorry for an eyesight question Joining the Royal Navy 31
P Dumb Question too scared to ask the CPO Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
P Question for HM officers and those with an in-service degree Joining the Royal Navy 3
U Quick question about paying off foreign RFA 2
MoD_RSS Parliament approves veterans question in next Census MoD News 0
F Question about NSRT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
H Chef question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Medical question regarding an allergic reaction (sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
L Just a question regarding the initial officer interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Public given power to question ‘lenient’ prison sentences MoD News 0
J pre-joining question regarding medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Turkey military action in Syria: Urgent Question opening statement MoD News 0
S Comms apprentice training question RFA 1
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42 - General Comment on the Question of the Death Penalty MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Rootstech London 2019 MoD News 0
A Question regarding pre-joining medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Question about Qualifications from Ireland Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Ask a silly question… MoD News 0
R Bit of an unusual question The Fleet 27
R Royal Marines BMI/weight question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
Max9393 Tattoo question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
SnowGoose Intake question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
P Question: CD/ESD/UD/LD/TD in RNVR service Nos. History 4
LeedsBornLeedsBred Question regarding 4K squad run at PRNC. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
U Question about paperwork to bring to Raleigh RFA 5
Maxpowers FAC and Shotgun cert holder question. Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
S Question about medical test for navy rating recruits Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
W RFA medical question RFA 2
T Intriguing Forces Question Diamond Lil's 18
Q Medical Record Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
U Interview soon, question about facial hair RFA 9
NotNickCarter Edinburgh Tattoo (2018) a question Current Affairs 3
Edward-t Question about eye surgery Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Question to any current/ex divers - Best ways to equalise? Joining the Royal Navy 4
S Question about allowances The Gash Barge 9
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
R Question regarding medical and headaches Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
John25 WW1 Medal Question History 6
D Question on nationality Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 53
R Phase 2 question Joining the Royal Navy 33
C Question regarding UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S "Accepted equivalents" RN Officer Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T Medical question Joining the Royal Navy 4