Question to any current/ex divers - Best ways to equalise?

Hey all,

I have my PDA this month and I've been wondering if there is a certain method CDs use to equalise. Is it just holding the nose and blowing or would the instructors advise a more technical/hands off method? Or is it just what works best for you?

Any info is much appreciated, cheers
(I hope I'm posting in the right place)

Last edited:
I was a Ship's Diver and am still a scubadoo. In the RN we used full face masks with a spring clip on the nose with which to equalise. It used to be great whizzing down the line hand over hand just snorting! As a scubadoo I do the popular nose hold - I simply can't do it any other way sadly - I even had a double spring on my RM nose clip! Many of the commercial helmets used have 'blocks' for you to press your snout against when equalising. The important thing is DO NOT FORCE IT!

I was a Ship's Diver and am still a scubadoo. In the RN we used full face masks with a spring clip on the nose with which to equalise. It used to be great whizzing down the line hand over hand just snorting! As a scubadoo I do the popular nose hold - I simply can't do it any other way sadly - I even had a double spring on my RM nose clip! Many of the commercial helmets used have 'blocks' for you to press your snout against when equalising. The important thing is DO NOT FORCE IT!
Ah cheers Sonar, I've read on here that a few people drop out from the baby diver course because they get "ears", I'm assuming this is because they're not equalising properly? Is it something a lot of people have trouble with?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Sumo

War Hero
We submariners have been known to dive deep, never had a problem with my ears, like @RabC I move my jaw and blow through my nose, always found holding my nose to have to much pressure or as @SONAR-BENDER felt like you were forcing or trying to hard, just relax, you will find what works for you.