question to all you " oldies"

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by willmuse, Sep 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys & gals, can you honestly say that you've enjoyed\enjoying your life & career in the Royal Navy?I'm leaving for Raleigh in a month. Just wondering did you really enjoy it!?

2. Had a fantastic time...Saw places I would not have seen and was paid to go.

Some rough times but in any walk of life that happens.

Did 35 years and enjoyed every day of it. I hope you have half as much fun and challange as I had.

Good luck :thumright: :thumright:

3. Yes I enjoyed it :thumright:

As a newbie--my advice to you is that you keep an open mind,accept
    what you have to do and never lose your sense of humour

After training life gets better

:nemo: :nemo:

4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Absolutely, coming up for 25 years and loved every minute, until perhaps the last couple............ top tip don't do more than about 22years and leave when you stop enjoying it!

5. thanks guys:)

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If I had my life again, quite simply I'd do the same again, it's as good as that.

Mind you I'd have probably 'duffed-in' a few more Fleet Air arm (FAA) chaps because they had a better job than me.

Having said that, at least I'm not as ugly as they & still, at the age of 45 (just) have to beat the 'chicks' off when I go out in uniform.

You'd be surprised how popular Chinese Rear Admirals are mate,
    [not to mention the relative low cost of the uniform.]

7. So far so good then Willmuse. Sailors generally love or loved their time in the service.

Okay, that's great, but what about Submariners, seeing as though that's what me and Willmuse are going in for?

8. Loved it and still do after 19yrs!

Good luck at raleigh mate

9. Glad I did my time , good and bad , just get on with it , only really remember the good times {lots of them} , bad times just think back and smile , character building , just do it mate . :thumright:

10. Had good times and bad, but you get that in any job: travelled the world, got paid for it, and with some of the finest people you could ever meet ( still in touch with some 40 years later). You go for it mate - in a few years, you'll see what I mean.

11. Done 15 years and loved it,took redundancy back in 96,although for the first few years outside i wish i hadnt.In the long run i think i made the right choice as i left with a HUGE wad of cash AND a pension while i was still young enough to start another career.I now work for BP Oil as a safety boat skipper,not bad for an ex Killick Golly.Still miss the craic with the lads and the run ashores though,some brilliant memories and i would do it all again.Enjoy your time in The Mob and keep us posted on your career.

12. Even better. 25 years, 19 of them in boats. A sod while your a part iii though, no movies or mess time, but that only last as long as you make it.

13. 32 memorable years. A fresh challenge with every day, every ship, every unit and every job. Best thing was the people of all ranks I worked with. I can't think of another organisation outside the Armed Forces where you rely on each other so much (sometimes for your life), enjoy each other's company so much and keep in touch with so many of them throughout the rest of your days. Just as well that you can depend on your oppos because, apart from your family, you can depend on few others when you leave, least of all the government. It's something special that civilians will never be able to understand properly.

14. Done 15 years man and boy, some great oppos, fantastic runs ashore, what more can I say, except go for it!! and enjoy!!

15. Ditto mate , 90% of my mates are ex servicemen , dependable , loyal , what more can you ask for , and they are a good run ashore still .

16. I enjoyed it and don't regret joining up. Unfortunately there was too many changes to my branch and it wasn't what I joined up to do. So I left before I got caught up in the pension trap.

What I loved about it so much before I left was

1. It made me grow up
    2. I saw many countries
    3. It gave leadership, motivation, communication, etc skills
    4. Gave me great friends
    5. It taught me reality and about life

The list could go on. It's not for everyone, but it's a good way of life if it's something you want to do 100%

Good luck

17. Like everything - being a submariner is an acquired taste.
    If you can stick at it - the (extra) money's there for the
    taking. Remember that all new boats will be based in Faslane
    come the demise of what we have left in Plymouth, but that's
    in the future.

Remember - think safety when you're a proper non-Part III
    submariner and if the water starts coming in through the
    pressure hull...be warned!! You CANNOT drink the entire
    Atlantic/Pacific or whatever ocean you happen to be in at the
    time. Your job (among others) will be to keep the wet stuff
    on the outside.

[​IMG]

"When I was on the...........blah-blah-ramble-ramble ....."

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Times change, for the real and bold, starting like my self in 1960, there was very little foriegn travel, no package holidays etc. I joined the Navy and literally saw the world, something that wouldn't have been available to me, the fact that most of the world to Matelots in those days were the few bars nearest the dockyard gate is besides the point.

Same with being a Submariner then, Desiel Boats could go into any Port with enough water, Nucs. are very restricted because a lot of Countries won't generally let them in.

Basically its what you make of it, I served 1969-1970 and came out because of continually being sea drafted (no shore drafts apart from training and courses) and having got married wanted to see my kids grow up and have some influence on their upbringing. Don't regret a minute of my Pusser time and it turned me into the juvenile that I still am to this day. Its also good training for the after life. I went on to join the Constabulary and always got a great laugh over some 18 year old gobby drunk telling me I didn't know anything about life or what it was like to be drunk.

Its up to you what you make of your chances in life.

19. "Morning mate....where you been then?"
    "Oh...just down the Job Centre...where you been then?"
    "Oh....just up the North/South Pole...."
    "???"

[​IMG]

20. Don't expect a bundle of laughs every day, life at sea is full of routine, some of it pretty gutty.
    If you are the kind of person who can pretty much take care of themselves, keep yourself neat and tidy, can do without sleep, and are a good timekeeper, then you should do well.
    Remember that some of the most basic functions in life may be dictated by others ie eating, sleeping, and other more personal stuff.
    Did I enjoy it - yes, or I wouldn't be on here yonks later.
    I grew out of it and needed to make my own way.
    Do yourself a favour and if you aren't already, then learn some of the things I mentioned in my second paragraph.
    Also when in the mob ensure you keep up with progress and affairs outside, adapting your skills to suit.
    If you do not enjoy it, then do not hesitate to leave.
    The very best of luck to you and please take in some of the excellent advice that has been given you.