Question Time Dolphins?

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Ballistic, Jun 4, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know why QT panellist Susie Boniface is wearing a set of Dolphins?
    She's on BBC1 Question Time right now.

2. Probably got stoofed by a crabmariner whilst she worked in Plymuff and give her a set to let people know this is what happened

• Like Like x 2
  3. I can't find any link as yet, but as she worked in Plymouth and her name is Boniface, I think she's related to Dave Boniface who was a WOWEA. He passed away due to cancer recently while he was still serving.

If she is related, it seems a good enough reason to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just seen this. Sad news. On the same boat as Dave back along. Wikipedia has her as being separated
    from husband, who was also a journo (Sun), so unsure as to the answer to the Dolphins question.

(Snippet taken from Wiki...)

Personal life
    Boniface separated from her husband, a Sun journalist, in 2006. Her book described both her work as a journalist and their divorce, in which she referred to him using an insulting pseudonym

5. She was a defence journalist for the Plymouth Herald - I guess there may be some link there...

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I think tommo's nailed it

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Eeew. How uncouth. Tommo also?

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

'Tis but a rumour, awaiting confirmation from Himself!

9. Not a crabmariner so alas not my dolphins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. So not related to Dave then.

For Billy, Dave crossed the bar in December 2012.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Dunno who Raoul Duke is, but he comes across as a first class knob on Twitter.

Fully accept kissing kippers are earned, but in my book a Walter Mitty is a person purporting to be something they are not rather than a person wearing an emblem as a mark of respect.

One cannot help but wonder how Mr Duke feels about the widow of Ian Molyneux wearing his dolphins.

Similarly, a little while back the Royal Marines officially gave the clothing chain, "Next" permission to use the Commando logo on a range of fashion clothing. The proceeds going to RMCTF. The result? Yep, another busload of outrage about people not being qualified to wear womens clothes with a Commando logo. Did they complain to the Royal Marines for granting permission? Of course not.

As a matelot, I've never felt moved to shout at Sea Cadets for being "walts", either.

• Like Like x 10
  12. We have plenty of Walts in Drake and Nelson pretending to be Matelots as it is with salt activated injuries

• Like Like x 1
  13. Are they still called P7R

14. Does she qualify as a walt? bet she never did a PartIII

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. No changed med cat names now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  16. So nothing new then the Barrack Stations that always had a reason not to go to sea, and of course the inboard rating, which never went to sea because no one wanted them, I sometimes wonder having spent so much time away, who had it right, the hard workers or the shirkers?

17. Could never see the point ... object of the exercise ... get back to sea as soon as possible ... mainly to avoid the nagging machine! Good job she never saw the preference drafting chit ... early out of turn? YES! Something which drafty thankfully took notice of and being a Doc I spent more time afloat than I did back at the boneyard! Result!