Question regarding Warfare Officer

smith34

Midshipman
Hi,

I'm currently in the recruitment process, waiting to join the Navy as a Warfare Officer. There's a sub-specialism within the Warfare branch I would specifically like to be involved in, which is Hydrographics, Meteorological and Oceanographics.

To become that type of sub-specialist as a Warfare Officer, do you need to have served as a general service Warfare Officer before you specialise further into that?

Thanks,
Smith
 
To precis that:

you need to qualify as a bridge watchkeeper before going HM. You may be selected straight from course, or you may complete a complement job (i.e. a non-HM bridge watchkeeping job) before going for it. The reasons are varied, mainly regarding the requirement, your age, your possible future career path and what everyone else in your intake is doing. As ever, the needs of the Service will over-rule your preferences, although hopefully the Career Manager will align them.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
alfred_the_great said:
To precis that:

you need to qualify as a bridge watchkeeper before going HM. You may be selected straight from course, or you may complete a complement job (i.e. a non-HM bridge watchkeeping job) before going for it. The reasons are varied, mainly regarding the requirement, your age, your possible future career path and what everyone else in your intake is doing. As ever, the needs of the Service will over-rule your preferences, although hopefully the Career Manager will align them.

Not forgetting, to be a "droggie", besides needing a brain the size of a planet with limited social skills, it takes several years to grow a ZZ Top beard, acquire the John Lennon glasses & get the socks & sandals thing weighed-off.

Not that I'm generalising of course. :lol:
 

Drakey

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
alfred_the_great said:
To precis that:

you need to qualify as a bridge watchkeeper before going HM. You may be selected straight from course, or you may complete a complement job (i.e. a non-HM bridge watchkeeping job) before going for it. The reasons are varied, mainly regarding the requirement, your age, your possible future career path and what everyone else in your intake is doing. As ever, the needs of the Service will over-rule your preferences, although hopefully the Career Manager will align them.

Not forgetting, to be a "droggie", besides needing a brain the size of a planet with limited social skills, it takes several years to grow a ZZ Top beard, acquire the John Lennon glasses & get the socks & sandals thing weighed-off.

Not that I'm generalising of course. :lol:

Not forgetting the leather elbow patches on your tweed jacket
 

tin_tin

Badgeman
I looked into HM myself, my ACLO was informed by AIB that policy has very recently changed. Unlike other sub-specialisations you now inform AIB prior to being accepted that you want to go for HM and you have to have a science related degree or A-Levels. Having spoken with a HM Officer he said it would be a possibility that IFT would be spent on a survey ship and you would begin specialist courses at an earlier stage. I can't remember all the exact details because I don't have the prerequisites, but do check with your ACLO that you meet the criteria before looking into it in too much detail.
 

minimania

Badgeman
tin_tin said:
I looked into HM myself, my ACLO was informed by AIB that policy has very recently changed. Unlike other sub-specialisations you now inform AIB prior to being accepted that you want to go for HM and you have to have a science related degree or A-Levels.
that bits true

Having spoken with a HM Officer he said it would be a possibility that IFT would be spent on a survey ship that bits bollocks
 

tin_tin

Badgeman
I wondered how long it would take for someone to jump on my back. He mentioned it seemingly as a future possibility, not fact.
 
Top