Question regarding potential lung problem

Hi there,
Firstly, I'm in the process of joining the Royal Navy as an officer, and have passed the medical couple weeks ago, and have my physical fitness test 2 weeks today.

So basically I've have had a cough for an extended period of time, been to the doctors, had a 2 week period of peak flow testing, results were fairly consistent so not looking like asthma but doctor said he can't rule it out completely as my peak flow isn't as high as it should have been. He then prescribed me an inhaler as a "trial" to see if my breathing/peak flow will improve over the next month. Now this is where the problem arises, being prescribed an inhaler can severely hurt my chances of joining the Navy right? However just wondering if because it is just a "trial" to see if it helps my breathing if it will affect me joining the navy or not?

Thank you, any advice appreciated.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi there,
Firstly, I'm in the process of joining the Royal Navy as an officer, and have passed the medical couple weeks ago, and have my physical fitness test 2 weeks today.

So basically I've have had a cough for an extended period of time, been to the doctors, had a 2 week period of peak flow testing, results were fairly consistent so not looking like asthma but doctor said he can't rule it out completely as my peak flow isn't as high as it should have been. He then prescribed me an inhaler as a "trial" to see if my breathing/peak flow will improve over the next month. Now this is where the problem arises, being prescribed an inhaler can severely hurt my chances of joining the Navy right? However just wondering if because it is just a "trial" to see if it helps my breathing if it will affect me joining the navy or not?

Thank you, any advice appreciated.
Personally I'd advise your health takes priority over your career.

By the book, any inhaler prescribed within the last four years is a bar to entry if asthma signs or symptoms are present.

Firstly it's a condition of entry into the service to notify your AFCO of any change in status....even after passing the medical. If your medical records clearly indicate the inhaler was prescribed for an upper respiratory tract infection and no asthma symptoms were present, then there's a reasonably good chance it will not affect medical suitability for entry once your course of treatment is fully complete, but speak to your doc first because you will need to do a follow-up medical and the service will be writing to your GP to verify.

Good luck.