Question regarding eyesight for 2nd medical...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Cheesy_peas_please, Nov 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello to all

I applied last year and had my first medical during last November. I have my second medical booked for the end of this month as I'm over 30. I've been notified by email to bring my optical prescription with me if I wear contact lenses or glasses (which I do).

The thing I wanted to know is as follows. Do I have to take a form to the opticians for them to complete again which is issued by the AFCO, just like I did the first time round? Or, are they such referring to a typical optical prescription that you get from any opticians if you need aided vision? If so, can that prescription only be valid for a certain period of time?

Apologies if it sounds like I'm being too particular but I get the impression that the guidelines in general are very specific and I don't want to travel 30 years miles to be told "Sorry, that's no good, that prescription is not valid. See you again in a week's time".

Regards.

2. Hello Cheesy,

I can see your dilemma but whatever reply you get at RR the one from your own AFCO is the one to act upon.

Are you able to e-mail them with your quandry?

Bob

3. You're absolutely right. I'll ring my local AFCO in the next couple of days. If they don't know the answer to a very specific question then nobody will.