Question re old Articifer Apprentice rate.

tommo

War Hero
2_deck_dash said:
When I joined in '01 tiffs had stopped wearing PO's rig and had the same kit as everyone else with the exception of a red cloth beret badge. I believe the change was in '97.

Rouge!

I think it was around 98/99 they started getting baby tiff's to wear JR rig without branch badges, I recall seeing tiff's in PO's style rig in 97/98 but I remember the baby tiff's on board in 2000 with the collar and cap.

I'm sure someone will let us know soon enough.

2badge_mango

War Hero
In the 70s it was still called "Class 3 uniform" (fore and aft rig), as worn by Tiffy Apprentices, junior rates S&S, SBA, and Coders.
All except tiffies changed to "Class 2" (square rig) between 1957-61, by which time Coders had been phased out, and SBAs had become MAs .
When serving in "Ulster" 1958-60, I had both rigs and wore either to suit the occasion.

2BM

NZB,

I’m surprised that no-one has yet remarked on the mis-spelling of â€Articifer†in your thread title.

Whether intentional or not whenever Art. was spelled, or spoken, that way it was once guaranteed to wind up or upset most of those sensitive souls.

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
I was Parade Staff at HMS Fisguard in 1962/3. What fun we had with all these 'Wannabe' Tiffs. Actually it was one of the quietest numbers I ever had. Then the B'stards sent me to Royal Arthur on the Leadership course. That was tough, Jan/Feb out on the Black Mountains around 'Cwm Yoy' (did I spell that correctly?)

nobby0919

Lantern Swinger
Re: Question re old Artificer Apprentice rate.

We had fun with the parade staff as well.
Scenario, my new entry class on the parade ground , being taught how to change step at the double.
Instructor CGI was almost pensionable and unfit.
Sorry chief, didn't quite see that etc, show us again please, etc etc . .We had the poor sod so out of breath we had an extended impromptu stand easy.
Ace.

(granny) said:
I was Parade Staff at HMS Fisguard in 1962/3. What fun we had with all these 'Wannabe' Tiffs. Actually it was one of the quietest numbers I ever had. Then the B'stards sent me to Royal Arthur on the Leadership course. That was tough, Jan/Feb out on the Black Mountains around 'Cwm Yoy' (did I spell that correctly?)

I joined Fisgard (across the road from Raleigh), in Sept 78, passed out early in April 79 (2 terms instead of 3 as I had 'A' Levels). Went to Caledonia after AMC training on HMS Eastbourne and passed out on completion of training as a Leading Hand, in April 82, after having done a grand total of 3 months at sea on HMS Intrepid. First draft was Illustrious in build, commissioning, workup and deployment to the South Atlantic in 1982. Passed Fleetboard for PO early 1983. Got my buttons Feb 85. 6 Years & 5 months from Civvy to Chief.

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
I joined Fisgard (across the road from Raleigh), in Sept 78, passed out early in April 79 (2 terms instead of 3 as I had 'A' Levels). Went to Caledonia after AMC training on HMS Eastbourne and passed out on completion of training as a Leading Hand, in April 82, after having done a grand total of 3 months at sea on HMS Intrepid. First draft was Illustrious in build, commissioning, workup and deployment to the South Atlantic in 1982. Passed Fleetboard for PO early 1983. Got my buttons Feb 85. 6 Years & 5 months from Civvy to Chief.
What a great moniker - the Sunday post should be very proud of you!

Jack

BusterQuin

War Hero
Book Reviewer
@Jingscrivvenshelpmaboab Which one of the LMEAs were you I joined Lusty in Whitley Bay unfortunately only for 10 days before moving onboard I was a MEM(L)

Latest Threads