Question please

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Topaz, Apr 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hopefully this wont turn into a "What iron should I buy" thread... but I will try my best :)

Your all going to shout at me. What type of polish do I need to take to Raleigh?

I got some today and its called "GuardsMan Gloss". My dad got me and and considering he used to be in the Army I thought I would trust his judgement.

But... I allways though gloss was not alowed?

[Stupid question I know]
  2. Guardsman Gloss is probably the best polish you can get for shoes etc.
    If possible, get a bulls blood version as well (ask your dad why).

Kiwi is best for general use though, and don't go near any of the supermarket brands :)
  3. Thanks Lamri :)
    Its a good job aswell cos I have two tins of the stuff lol.
  4. ... only about a week's supply then?

Polishing footwear to a glass shine is an art form but, once learned, it is never forgotten. If you haven't already had lessons from your Dad I would recommend it. Being able to do this quickly and well will increase your popularity tenfold.

Good luck when you get there.

5. Nice post, Ive been wanting to ask somet like this for a while but I know what some of the guys are like on here lol

Im also looking into what type of Watch to buy, dont wanna get somet cheap that wont last. Ive heard G Shock are pretty good, but expensive?
  6. Rolex Submariner - that's what we've all got... :afro:
  7. Oh thats SO last year!
    Haven't you returned it for your new Breitling yet?

8. Always thought that Kiwi parade gloss was the bee's myself, as for watches depends which branch you join divers always used to have Tag or Rolex just to show off how much they get paid, Stokers like myself a £2.99 petrol station special coz its going to get trashed. :thumright:
  9. Cheek and tongue come to the fore Birdy. You will want your watch to be, not flashy, rugged, water proof, cheap, as it is liable to get scratched and banged, with a stop watch if possible to keep track of your runs etc. Casio etc. Go flash when you get to sea.

10. Breitling, Tag,'s all the same once you get your first month's pay.
  11. Don't spend more than about twenty quid on a watch mate :)
  12. Ask dad to demonstrate hoe it'd done. Then give him the other shoe and tell him you didn't understand. :thumright:
  13. Get your Rolex in Hong Kong. They're VERY affordable there. My dad bought three.... :lol:
  14. Casio it is I guess!! Cheers lads :afro:
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stated above, we don't advise you to spend much on a watch to wear in phase one training as you may well damage it clambering around obstacle courses & suchlike.

I always advise candidates to buy a cheap one similar to the one my missus bought me for Christmas. That way if it gets broken or stolen, you don't care. :thumright:
  16. Hey Ninja, hope your missus doesn't log onto Rum Ration you'd be well in the pooh with that comment
  17. :laughing3: