Question on nationality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for advice not criticism.

I am turning 16 this year and I have lived in the UK for 8 years without leaving once, and time in the UK before that as well. I was born in America to an American mother and a Mexican father. They divorced and my mom married my British stepfather and got a two year visa, and to the best of my knowledge they haven't renewed it. I consider the UK my home and I love it. Am I legally a resident? Would I have to take and pass a citizenship test so I could apply? Would this get my parents in trouble? I haven't spoken to an AFCO yet because I do not yet have my my parents consent to join/apply.

I would start off by speaking with your parents. Do not assume, ask.

If they have not renewed the visa then this may be the prompt for them to do so. Sort that one out and then look at the citizenship side of things. I do not think it would be an issue as we have had people from lots of countries working in the RN.

Ninjastoker may be able to offer more advice.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Be very careful, if Mum has not renewed the visa She could be deported and told to re apply from her native country. I don't think that you would be classed as a UK citizen if She is here illegally.

At least you won't have to worry about passing the Chefs course (dapperdunn will explain) :D

That's what I'd like to be :p I hear it's not too hard.

I am very reluctant to ask her to do that... But we may have to. Maybe I can sweeten the deal by monetary compensation for travel expenses etc when I (hopefully) join.

Yep - a single ping to determine range before firing or 'ALL' (rising FM ramp, 27 Ripple slow, 27 Ripple fast) if you really want to clean the transducers / annoy people / kill dolphins.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
@Ninja_Stoker I hope you don't mind that I pinged you :oops:
The simple answer is you need to hold a valid UK, Irish, Cypriot, Maltese or Commonwealth passport and have lived in UK for at least the last five years with no continuous period of over 183 days living overseas during that period.

If you can meet the above criteria, you are eligible to apply. Otherwise, unfortunately not.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
@Ninja_Stoker thank you. That's what I needed to know. I know I have lived here for 5+ years, but will they require proof? If so, what kind? Would a testimony do?
Utility (mobile phone?) bills, school/college reports or verifying letters by teachers/lecturers or employers, bank statements, electoral roll, GP medical records, etc., etc.

The five years residency will probably be a pre-requisite of your passport application also.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
@Ninja_Stoker ok I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :)
I know that this isn't the advice you want to hear but, you need to establish your right to be in the UK, it would appear that you have no medical history and no evidence of any schooling, so it will be impossible to start doing checks on your background. If handled wrongly you and Mum could be deported for being in the UK illegally, before doing anything else you need to sit down with Mum and Stepdad and talk the whole thing through with them. To start an application to join the RN without the citizenship thing being sorted will just be a waste of everyones time.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
To start an application to join the RN without the citizenship thing being sorted will just be a waste of everyones time.
Exactly.
This isn't a joining the Royal Navy query, it's a rather farfetched nationality /residency query.
Personally I can't see it being written by a 15 yr old.

@Ninja_Stoker ok I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :)
You are at that bridge now.
My brother-in-law was born to Portuguese/Greek parents in south Africa, at the time could have had a Commonwealth passport but his Greek dad didn't want that.
He came to England aged 3 went right through the education system and became a doctor, he thought he was British, when he applied for a passport, wrong, he was told because of his proof of residency they would not deport him, but if he left the country they would not let him back in.
It took him 7 years to get a passport, they don't just give them away, so good luck, I hear the Mexicans have armed forces.

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
A silver lining to the cloud would be - if you and your mum do get deported (worst case scenario) would the deportation be; back to America? You could join the American Navy! We all work quite closely with eachother, British military and foreign military are always supporting eachother.
Or if you've just got a hardon for the Royal Navy - you could always join the American Navy, do a few years service, save some money, become self sufficient and leave, move back to the UK legally and join our wonderful senior service!

If you truly are 15/16 you really shouldn't be worrying about these things, you have plenty of years ahead of you to thoroughly enjoy life and discover yourself before you go into a career like the RN and really find out who you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.