Question of whether I would be accepted due to drug use in medical history?

Hey I am interested in joining the royal navy and have been for a while, its just now however that I'm thinking about applying. The only thing i'm worried about is I have had to go to the hospital in the past due to cocaine use (I thought I was having a heart attack). It was only the one time and it turned out I was just having a really bad panic attack due to the cocaine. I don't do it anymore and haven't for about 6 months now. My questions is would this disqualify me from being able to join as I'm sure it will come up on my medical history. Thanks for any help given.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Difficult to say medically as it depends on the circumstances leading up to the incident and the longer-term effects. That's the medical examiner's shout once the medical history is fully scrutinised, but if it's on your medical record, it's not looking good I'm afraid.

From a generic suitability aspect, a history of habitual recreational Class A drug abuse is considered incompatible with a job in the Armed Forces. A history of drug use as recent as six months ago would not be considered acceptable for someone about to undergo military and firearms training. Despite folklore to the contrary regarding how long it stays in your "system", all recruits will undergo drug testing during Initial Naval Training and face discharge with no chance of re-entry. As most are aware, we're pretty sharp on this subject, particularly following this very recent issue: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41786237

If there are any convictions relating to Class A drugs, spent or unspent, particularly with regard possession with intent, then it's pretty much a no-go also.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hey I am interested in joining the royal navy and have been for a while, its just now however that I'm thinking about applying. The only thing i'm worried about is I have had to go to the hospital in the past due to cocaine use (I thought I was having a heart attack). It was only the one time and it turned out I was just having a really bad panic attack due to the cocaine. I don't do it anymore and haven't for about 6 months now. My questions is would this disqualify me from being able to join as I'm sure it will come up on my medical history. Thanks for any help given.

There is a fairly recent thread on the forum on drug using, have a look at the search box (top right)

I can assure you I have never poster before Traminator, The reason I posted to the forums is because I am debating if i should go to college or sign up for the Navy as I was more interested in joining the Navy but thought having that on my medical history would disqualify me, so thought i'd be better asking here for confirmation. Thanks for the info NinjaStoker. I wasn't an addict or anything just took it from time to time. It just so happens the last time I took it i ended up in the hospital.

Just read all of your reply Traminator, I meant I only ended up in hospital once. I took cocaine recreationally for a number of years during my teens, I'm now in my early twenties. Sorry for not making that clearer.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
I can assure you I have never poster before Traminator, The reason I posted to the forums is because I am debating if i should go to college or sign up for the Navy as I was more interested in joining the Navy but thought having that on my medical history would disqualify me, so thought i'd be better asking here for confirmation. Thanks for the info NinjaStoker. I wasn't an addict or anything just took it from time to time. It just so happens the last time I took it i ended up in the hospital.
If I'm wrong and I've misunderstood, then I'll stand up and apologise.

If you are asking a genuine question then fair enough for being up front about it.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Yeah, once I read your reply I re-read my post and it does seem like I would be talking about just taking cocaine once but I meant I just went to the hospital once. My bad man.
Being of an older generation, when all we did was booze, I'm probably quick to jump on the high horse with regards recreational drugs.

The RN site, and in particular the joining information, does address the issue and acknowledge that many young people have experimented.

The most important thing is to be honest from the outset.

I think I might pop in and ask a recruiter or give them a phone as I'll be gutted if its an automatic DQ but id rather that then get to the interview and they don't take me because of it. To be honest the panic attack really opened my eyes about the life I was living at the weekend and actually forced me to make good changes in my life. Obviously don't take drugs now but I very rarely drink and if i do its one or two. I've also picked up a few hobbies that keep me fit. I don't mind talking about it and telling the interviewers how I've changed but would hate if they just saw drugs on my medical history and sent me packing.

I think I might pop in and ask a recruiter or give them a phone as I'll be gutted if its an automatic DQ but id rather that then get to the interview and they don't take me because of it. To be honest the panic attack really opened my eyes about the life I was living at the weekend and actually forced me to make good changes in my life. Obviously don't take drugs now but I very rarely drink and if i do its one or two. I've also picked up a few hobbies that keep me fit. I don't mind talking about it and telling the interviewers how I've changed but would hate if they just saw drugs on my medical history and sent me packing.
Not gonna judge you as everyone makes mistakes... but if the Navy say 'nay', you might want to ask the Army their thoughts. They seem to have a slightly more forgiving attitude to drug-use in the 'experimental years'. Not saying that it's right or wrong, but it's something for you to consider.

When I joined in '85 one of the first lectures was the drugs lecture; it was the standard dit of the time, no names will be taken and all is forgiven but it's a massive no-no from here on. They asked the over 600 of us sat there who had any experience of drugs; there couldn't have been more than 20 stood up and I can't recall anyone having any Class A experience.

Just under 10 years later I helped present part of the same lecture to a similar sized intake and well over half the room stood up with lots of Class A experience.

Go to college, they have far lower standards than the RN. Perhaps you may achieve college standards.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Joining the Royal Navy 6
W RFA 2
T Joining the Royal Navy 2