Question for Royal Naval Reservists

2_deck_dash

War Hero
2DD,
have you mentioned your thoughts to your RFPO, or SO2?

Not yet. If I'm honest I'm laying low for a week or two after the last massive shit storm I churned up with regards to being put through phase 1 training again.

Edited to add: I am deadly serious about getting this shit sorted out though. My Chops M oppo and I fully intend to get a proper plan together in order to facilitate RNR lads filling gaps on Frigates and Destroyers, even if it's only for a fortnight at a time.

Last edited:
2DD, SO2 is on it. I will let him know about your thoughts etc.

AFG, do you really want to know why SO2 is not on an unofficial site? Surely you are trying to get me on a bite?

Well, there are at least 3 brigadiers and a general on ARRSE, and it's rumoured CGS' team read it often as well, so no, not a bite. Of course, the RN doesn't go much for being intellectually challenged or listening to the man on 2 Deck, so I'm not surprised the SO2 isn't on here.

Unofficial or not, Navynet is the first result when you type in Royal Navy unofficial, and given the consistent queries that disbelieve the 'official' advice, I'd say it's place the RN needs to use more.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Well, there are at least 3 brigadiers and a general on ARRSE, and it's rumoured CGS' team read it often as well, so no, not a bite. Of course, the RN doesn't go much for being intellectually challenged or listening to the man on 2 Deck, so I'm not surprised the SO2 isn't on here.

Unofficial or not, Navynet is the first result when you type in Royal Navy unofficial, and given the consistent queries that disbelieve the 'official' advice, I'd say it's place the RN needs to use more.

Someone reasonably high up is listening. I'm sure of this. Thus far pretty much all the problems I've gobbed off about on here have been resolved in the manner I or someone else on here has suggested.

Better delete some of those whoring dits. ;)

AFG, the Maritime Reserve were issued in January, the Continual Attitude Survey. The response rate is about 50% accross the MR, and 2 units have over 90% return rate. Thus the MRCAS, is the place to put the drips officially. It gets read by CMR, and he has used the return as ammunition to fire at those standing in the way of change. JPA OJARS/SJARS got a massive slagging, and since then CMR has managed to get a way round every singe report having to ping between RO and Subject on JPA. So whilst unofficial sites make us us all feel better, the way to change things is to use the official routes (including telling CMR, his staff officers, and WOs) that there are real issues when they visit.
i have searched for an unofficial Tesco site, and not found one, and they are massive when compared to the size of the MR - they tend to use official routes, including Continual Attitude surveys to get messages "up the chain".

I really enjoy posting on this site, and get great satisfaction from it, but doubt any of my posts will change anything. I tend to use the MRCAS, and the visits of CMR & staff to get my drips accross - and guess what, several of them have been acted upon.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
The more I think about this the better it sounds. The benefits of sticking sea res ratings directly into the warfare department on frigates and destroyers are vast.

Firstly the RN and RNR gain a greater understanding of eachother and one another's capabilities. This is important and an area that there is currently a big shortfall. As I mentioned above, up until yesterday, my oppo who is the warfare department DEPCO on a 45, was completely unaware of what the RNR does and more importantly what it could do for him. Look how the TA has now become an accepted and useful part of the Army since Herrick. Pretty much all squaddies have met and worked with reservists in an operational environment. If the RN got used to having 4 or 5 RNR lads onboard each ship most of the time, the mutual distrust would soon fade.

More sea time means more experience which means we become useful members of the team. The RNR should be a readily available pool of manpower who can jump in to ships on a temporary basis and hit the ground running on that job, becoming a useful and valuable member of the department for the duration of their time onboard, even if it's just for a couple of weeks.

It should already be happening, the RNR is happy to mobilise people on a short term basis to do irrelevant stuff like flood fighting in Somerset or providing security for the Commonwealth Games. Why not deploy us on a short term basis to actually do the job we've been trained for? I.e warfare branch duties on warships.

2DD,
mobilising to fill gaps is illegal. Sorry, but that's the law.
The SoS for Def, authorised (with Parliament's approval) a change to the law, to enable Commonwealth, Olympic and Flooding mobilisations. He can't go any further until the full Armed Forces Act is formally amended. This is scheduled for later this year.
Meanwhile, CMR HQ have been very busy in looking at just what you suggest, and watch this space about a year from now.
The FTRS option doesn't work for many reservists as there is no employment protection, and it's not really appropriate for a month or so.

they are getting there, but it does take time.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
2DD,
mobilising to fill gaps is illegal. Sorry, but that's the law.
The SoS for Def, authorised (with Parliament's approval) a change to the law, to enable Commonwealth, Olympic and Flooding mobilisations. He can't go any further until the full Armed Forces Act is formally amended. This is scheduled for later this year.
Meanwhile, CMR HQ have been very busy in looking at just what you suggest, and watch this space about a year from now.
The FTRS option doesn't work for many reservists as there is no employment protection, and it's not really appropriate for a month or so.

they are getting there, but it does take time.

I'm glad to hear that is the direction in which things are heading.

Just out of interest are there plans afoot to increase the number of training courses? Like I said before, I (and presumably many others) have literally nothing to do for the next year because I can't get on any of the courses that are on my training matrix. Not only that but there aren't even any random buckshee courses to fill my time. There isn't even a windsurfing instructors course or minibus driving course I can go on.

The next year for me is going to be filled with lots of Wednesday nights in the unit and the occasional weekend away doing sports tournaments against other RNR units or the occasional bit of ceremonial. The only time I'll spend on a ship is for the occasional ship's tour when one is alongside.

Are you going on EXHE14?
also, if you are having snags with matrix courses, your RFPO and SO2 will want to know why, so they can see if it's an isolated incident or endemic.

2DD,
you really are taking this Orrifficer thing seriously.
"when one is alongside"

but you might be talking about a ship rather than one's self. What o? Sun over the yard arm? G&Ts all round.
:)