Question For EX-Serving RN.

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by ET(WE)Sutton, Dec 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. They Say when you sign up that when you leave after any amount of time that if something happens and your in the s**t in anyway (non criminal). That there are associations there to help, guide and just give support or advice is this true?

    has anybody had any experiances they would share?

    or anything to add?

    p.s. This is curiosity because they go on and on about it when you are discharged.
  2. To tell you the truth mate I dont know , but someone will jump in and answer your question , I would take a guess that there would be somewhere to get help though , :?
  3. The Royal British Legion is the UK's leading charity providing financial, social and emotional support to millions who have served and are currently serving in the Armed Forces, and their dependants. Currently, nearly 10.5 million people are eligible for our support and we receive thousands of calls for help every year.

    Nuff said
  4. Seadog

    Seadog War Hero Moderator


    Threads about civvy street, life outside the Mob, the Afterlife belong in The Afterlife forum.
  5. ET I would hesitate to suggest, It depends on the depth of Shit you are in? In the first instance go to SAFFA, they will have lists of all of the ex Service agencys. There is of course the Veterans Agency, they also have lots of links.

  6. SSAFA would be your best bet initially. They help anybody (or their relatives) who has a minimum of one day's paid service. The Royal British Legion is a fine organisation but they do not help anyone who left the Services with a stain on their character.
  7. When I pursued a claim for a medical condition (hearing defect) suffered whilst serving in the RN (1969-1980), I contacted my local British Legion who in turn contacted the Veterans Agency who sent forms to me and I was assisted in their completion by my local SSAFA rep. So all the organisations mentioned above were of great help which ended with me getting a one off payment for the disability.
  8. As mentioned previously, SSAFA or the British Legion could be approached. Additionally the RNBT (Royal Naval Benevolent Trust) could be approached as they maybe able to help with finances.
  9. Theres also the King George the 5th Fund for Sailors.
  10. the royal naval association can also help
  11. I woulsd suggest that if a case had any merit at all contact with any one off the many organisations that can help would ensure you were pointed to the people best equipped to help. There are for example organisations for more specific problems as well such as the war blinded etc etc.
  12. SSAFA are probably your best bet for an initial assessment. They shoudl then send your details to ANY relevant organisation that could help you. I fyou do go down that route please tell them everything especially who you served with and in as there are specific organisations that help certain veterans e.g. Korea and the Falklands or people who come from certain areas.
    If you don't want to call SSAFA then I would give the RNBT a call (website link in post above for telephone number) If steve is still there he is a font of knowledge in how you could get help.
    Hope this helps.
    WAFU (and ex RNBT almoniser)
  13. It also depends on the area where you live, I live in Cumbria & am a caseworker for the RBL, In Cumbria as a whole we have more SSAFA caseworkers in carlisle than RBL but in Barrow there are more RBL than SSAFA caseworkers.
  14. Agree with that SSAFA helped me while is in Hospital for 18 months - fantastic sorted out lots of stuff - Helped with the medical for the War Pensions (Veterans Agency), Mortgage and a heap of other things - My advisor was an ex-crabfat top bloke (even for a crab)
    I was advised to use them first before heading down the British Legion RNA route.
  15. WEA also have a links page

    Links to Welfare/Charities

    The Veterans Agency (official MOD website containing details of matters of interest to Armed Forces veterans including welfare, pensions, war graves and medals, plus much more)

    SSAFA (The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association - Forces Help)

    King George Fund for Sailors

    Royal Naval Benevolent Trust

    Ex-Service Homes Referral Agency (ESHRA) (provides information to the ex-service community and their dependants about nursing, residential care and specialist homes)

    Royal Marines Benevolent Fund

    Women's Royal Naval Service Benevolent Trust

    The Royal Sailors Rest (Aggies)

    Naval Families Federation
  16. I'd list the Royal British Legion, the Royal Navy Association, the White Ensign Association and SSAFA.

Share This Page