Question and advice about 'education'

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jas1987, Jun 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm currently a university student studying an honours degree, at this moment in time I do not feel that my course or my current direction is for me, I'll try and get straight to the question.

I've just completed my first year of University and face another 3 years, I have the required GCSE's and UCAS points to join up as an officer right now although I read this "Pilot and Observer training for those who join the Fleet Air Arm without a degree is credited towards an Open University degree" What I wanted to know is..

What does the open university course entail?
    When does this have do be done e.g. during training, before I can join?
    How long is the course?
    Would it be better for me to just finish my current university course before joining? (preferably not as I do not wish to wait or go through 3 more years of the course i'm studying)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site.

Specific questions regarding the OU course content are best answered by a current Area Careers Liaison Officer (ACLO) at the time you are about to start the course as the modules may change frequently depending on your in-service training & which way you are streamed, if you are selected.

The Degree doesn't HAVE to be done, it's up to the individual. Course study is done in your own time for OU degrees however there will be certain elements of your service training which will fulfill several module requirements, which is a bonus.

The course can take as long as you wish, but the longer you take, the more likely it will change.

If you join as a graduate, even with a non-vocational degree, you will have 3 years seniority over those that don't and your starting pay is almost double that of a non-grad, at £28,216. Whilst a non-grad starts on less, they catch-up fairly rapidly over the course of training after completing Dartmouth.

What you need to look at is whether the degree you are studying is achievable in 3 years or whether your uni has pulled the "bums on seats" financial reward trick (for them) by stating you get a masters after your 4th year. Your masters, incidentally, if appropriate will have little sway unless it's a vocational degree. All degrees can be potentially honours degrees incidentally - it's just a case of how much work the individual is prepared to put in.

The choice is yours, but be assured everyone has a crisis of confidence in year two of a degree.

What would I do? I'd remain on my degree course until I passed all elements of selection and had a place offered. Once in that position I'd then have the choice whether to join or continue my degree, but until then I'd crack-on in case "plan A" didn't come to fruition.

Good luck.
  3. As Ninja says but just to add that it says training can be accredited towards an OU degree, not any specific degree, hence your question is superfluous, unless you meant to say it will count as APL for a specific degree, which you have not mentioned. One other thing, and Ninja will correct me if I am wrong, but dropping out of a degree course hardly sends the right kind of signal to those recruiting people for a long, arduous and very expensive course of pilot training.
  4. Thank you for the reply, I found the information quite useful.

Regarding the dropping from Univeristy, It's not that i feel uncapable of doing the course but rather I feel i've made the wrong choice of direction, it's a longer route towards the same goal of joining as an Officer.
    After a year of university I found that it wasn't challenging, the lifestyle of living on little money, working part time jobs, social aspect (drinking etc) wasn't for me as i would rather start a Career sooner and whilst i'm younger, to put simply I just feel like i'm procrastinating.

Do I really give the wrong message? (even though my intention is to join sooner, rather than financialy struggling 3 years doing a course that I feel isn't providing me with 'real life' skills)

I will more than likely speak to an AFCO find out what they think about my position and what information/advice they can provide.

5. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't speak to AFCO, but do you not have a tutor you can talk to regarding your concerns? It may be that you will be able to move to a different degree course, as yours is a problem which is not uncommon amongst first year students.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, I'd certainly go along with Harry & Joe's comments, particularly as later in life it is extremely difficult to be able to afford the time and the financial sacrifice in order to attain a degree.